• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Metamorphosis

default capabilities of directX

This topic is 4942 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, so I have 3 points I would like to ask: 1\ so, there are some video cards that don't support directx 9.0, but in the case that I manage to create a directx 9.0 object, what are the features I can use without worrying about them not being supported. in other words, what are the features of directx 9.0 that are always supported in any video card in which I managed to create a DX object. 2\ software and hardware vertex processing are basicely the same thing, exept that vertices are processed in different places (software and hardware). but doesn't this fact, make software vertex processing always support all the features of directx. besides it is dependent from hardware, and does every thing is software. (like REF in a way). 3\ I used point sprite of directx 9.0. and they aren't really good, but maybe because I don't know how to use them yet. well, first of all, is there somkind of limitation on the size of the sprites, and I've been missing around with the a b c factors a lot, but couldn't make the point sprite look right (get smaller when I am far, and get bigger when I am close). result is, I am thinking to create a point sprite class that uses Quads (like billboards). but is this a good idea, or am I all the way wrong about point sprites. I know that It's a lot of content here, hope this is not annoying. and please, for the 2nd question, it is really really important for me, cause I looked all around, but couldn't find the actual meaning of software vetex processing in terms of capabilities. thanks

Advertisement
Hi, I will attempt to answer some of your questions but it may take some one with more experience than me to answer them all.

1) There maybe some tool or list of something that tells you waht is supported in dx9 but can't be done on older video cards, but that would mean checking them all, or at least the ones you want to use, sometimes in the docs it tells you if somethings might not be supported on older cards. There might be a problem with some of the advanced alpha checking things for instance. Really though the best thing I could say is worry about it later! Unless you are at the point of writng advanced stuff, then most of the time your going to be doing things on your own computer anyway so it doesn't matter, (or maybe at least just have a hal/ref switch so either could be used). If you do find something that doesn't work on another computer then you'll know what it is (something in your app), and you can then just check that thing.

2) I don't know that?

3)Haven't had much experieance with point sprites myself, but did you do some sort of distance checking, from you or your cameras position to where the point sprites should be? It probably is better to use point sprites rather than quads. Maybe look up pointsprites in the forum search, or ask a quetion later just on point sprites.

Hope this helps

1) Well, you should not assume supported functionality. The caps is there for a purpose [smile].

2) No, because a lot of features would be really very slow to run on the CPU. The GPU is dedicated, special-purpose, and runs in parallel with the CPU.

3) A lot of people skip point-sprites and use quads directly. Point-sprites do have size limitations (Check D3DCAPS9::MaxPointSize). On ATI hardware, that's usually 256. On nVidia's FX line, it was something along 8K.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!