• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
White Scorpion

[.net] [DirectX] Very very basic project

This topic is 5092 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone ! I feel now that I should make a little project to see if I understood well everything I just learned about C# DirectX. Do you guys have any idea of something really really basic to do that would help me see if I understood all the stuff taught here ? http://users.pandora.be/riemer/index.html. [Edited by - White Scorpion on January 3, 2005 7:40:28 PM]

Advertisement
Well, the tutorial taught you to make a VB/ID'd heightmap, which I'm assuming that you did. :)

If you want a challenge to spice things up while still building off of your existing heightmap project, try one/some of these:

* Applying colours to each vertex based on the pixel colour on the image file (simple-ish)
* Applying textures to each vertex based on the pixel colour on the image file read (intermediate)
* Adding a variable-height 'water' plane over the terrain (simple-ish) and perhaps a scrolling texture across it (intermediate)
* Play with billboarding (see the SDK example) and get trees scattered around your heightmap (more challenging)
* To test your understanding, how about allowing the size (width/height) of the heightmap to be modified during runtime? (tricky :P)

Good luck, directxmonger. :)

Do you have any good link on using textures ? And when you say "based on the pixel color", what file format are you talking about ? Because that tutorial used .raw files so it's only black&white. I managed to set the vertices to the proper color though. As for the other points well I think I'll have to read a little more on DX before I can do them :P

Quote:
Do you have any good link on using textures ?

Check out Tutorial 5 in the DXSDK samples.

Quote:
And when you say "based on the pixel color", what file format are you talking about ? Because that tutorial used .raw files so it's only black&white.

Ah, I was assuming you were using an RGB(A) image format. It shouldn't be very hard to convert the RAW image to a BMP/PNG/JPG to load instead, though. :)

I took a peek at the tutorial and initialized my texture and all but now I have to use the Tu and Tv members... I don't quite understand what they are each... I know you have to specify the top-left coordinate of the texture and bottom right... but how ? I already have this code... but now I must replace the color member by those Tu and Tv, how should I do this ? I made a 2 "textures"... one is a completely green bitmap ("grass") and the other one is completely brown ("mudd"). I wish the mudd to be the texture used when Z > 0 and grass when Z == 0 but I don't really know how to mess with the vertex buffer again...

Here's the code I've got so far:
/// <summary>
/// Creates the VertexBuffer object
/// Sets up each vertex with its corresponding position/color
/// </summary>
public void VertexBufferSetUp()
{
VBuf = new VertexBuffer(typeof(CustomVertex.PositionTextured), WIDTH*HEIGHT, D3DDevice,
Usage.Dynamic | Usage.WriteOnly, CustomVertex.PositionTextured.Format, Pool.Default);

Vertices = new CustomVertex.PositionTextured[WIDTH*HEIGHT];
for(int x = 0; x < WIDTH; x++)
{
for(int y = 0; y < HEIGHT; y++)
{
Vertices[x+y*WIDTH].Position = new Vector3(x, y, HeightData[x,y]);

if(HeightData[x,y] == 0)
{
Vertices[x+y*WIDTH].Color = Color.Black.ToArgb();
}
if(HeightData[x,y] > 0)
{
Vertices[x+y*WIDTH].Color = Color.White.ToArgb();
}
}
}

VBuf.SetData(Vertices, 0, LockFlags.None);
}
Should I do something like this ?
if(HeightData[x,y] == 0)
{
// Tell it to use the grass texture, but how ???!!
}
if(HeightData[x,y] > 0)
{
// Tell it to use the mudd texture, but how ???!!
}
Vertices[x+y*WIDTH].Tu = ((x%2) ? 1.0f : 0.0f);
Vertices[x+y*WIDTH].Tv = ((y%2) ? 1.0f : 0.0f);
Am I at least near ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!