• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Adams555

Easily get some input from a user. (for a map editor)

This topic is 5034 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I'm writing a map editor for a tile based program. Everything is going quite well. It switches tiles, saves, etc. But I have one small problem. I want to make a command to jump to any coordinate on the tile. So I figure I need to input a number from the user. Could anyone suggest something relatively simple to do? Idealy, a popup box, like a messagebox would appear and I could type in a value.. But I don't know if that is neccesary / feasable, considering this map editor will only be used by me and perhaps a few friends for development purposes. A few quirks are alright. Here are a few restrictions. I'm using directInput and directDraw, if that matters. (Not fullscreen) I'm using a WIN32 window. Arrow keys, shift, and enter are used by the program, but it wouldn't be harmful if it was neccesary to use them, simply a minor inconvenience (it would cause a tile to swap if you hit enter, but I could fix that) Thanks for your time. ~Adams555~

Advertisement
Try using a dialog box; dead easy if you have VC.Net, as you can just do it in forms designer, and then add a new winproc function to handle the functionality.

Let me know if you want some sample code and I'll see what I can dig out.

Jim.

I understand your confusion. Dialogue seems right, lol. Reguardless, this will work perfectly. Thank you very much.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!