Sign in to follow this  

Any good tutorials on GAPI?

This topic is 4736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just started playing with windows CE programming and I have found a couple of tutorials but am having some problems and nothing seems to address these. like after I exit my program the clock comes back blank its still there but I can't see it.

Are there no tutorials or do people use something else? If there is something better let me know.

I think most people use GapiDraw or PocketHal/PocketFrog at this point (both are GAPI wrappers).

www.gapidraw.com
www.droneship.com

Look at the old versions of PocketFrog (source code included) to see how the wrappers were done and how to use GAPI. Other than that, searching google is your best bet.

EDIT:
I'd like to clarify a few things:

Old versions of PocketFrog are GAPI wrappers. The newest version is a PocketHal wrapper.

PocketHal is another graphics API, similar to GAPI. I honestly don't know much about it.

Thank you, I might just try pocketfrog. gapidraw costs $995 thats a little steap for me to learn on.

GapiDraw is free for non-commercial use. Just download the evaluation version (assuming you want to check it out). It contains everything the commercial version does, except it gives you a splash screen on start up.

You might also check out this site :

http://www.antigrain.com/index.html

May I suggest the book "Game Programing for the Pocket PC". It builds goes through and builds a graphics library based on GAPI. It's a well written book. I would put the link from Amazon but I can't access their site right now for some reason.

GAPI basically just returns a raw backbuffer pointer. If you don't know what to do with such a pointer look for info on "blitting", "line drawing", "dirty rectangles", "mode 13h", "bitmap scaling", "bitmap rotation", "alpha blending", and so on.

I made a gapi wrapper that support kind of alot of things (like loading bitmaps, color keying, scaling) it's not really optimized but it works on 30 FPS on my old iPAQ.
I could release the source for you, so you could learn about it, if you want.
it's really easy to use.

Sign in to follow this