Am i to old to start with game programming?

Started by
12 comments, last by drjulio2002 19 years, 3 months ago
WHen i started programming i c was just out of high school. My first programs was small emmbedde programs of Micro controller's. I did sume linux programming a 7 months ago for 2 years. Now i am 25 years old and im wandering if i am to old to get into the game development industry?
Advertisement
dont believe so, 25 isn't old...
I understand but now a days kids creating games from the age of 11 to 13, and starting now would take a person longer to learn all the trick of the trade. And mixing now with a younger crowd is a bit hard. The best of the best have 5 to 10 years of experiance and they ar only turning 22.
I think you'll find that to be a major misconception once you're out in the industry.

I was the youngest (well, if you disregard the QA section) when working for Unique Development Studios, and I turned 24 a while back.

You'll find that age (in any direction) is probably the least to worry about.
MMM.. You have a point. But what about programming skills? What if your programming skills aren’t that good?

I have doen some software project's in a groupe and i have made my own software packges using MS V C++ and GCC in linux, but it is mostly for the electronic market.
Where do start now, getting in to it?
I wrote my first programs in BASIC at age 8 or 9 - simple little hello world stuff. I knew then I wanted to be a programmer. My parents couldn't afford a computer and after a short time I started pursuing other interests. I came back to the keyboard almost 7 years ago at the age of 26. Using books and internet resources, I spent nearly 2 years learning C/C++/Java and getting a foundation in game programming fundamentals. I've gone from text based games, to 2D shooters, to 3D engines. I'm also doing J2EE contract work from time to time.

I'm 33 now, but even if I were to start today I wouldn't consider myself too old. If I were 50 I wouldn't think so either. You are never too old to learn anything as long as you still have the mental capacity to do so. Things may go a bit slower at a certain point, but niether you or I are at that point yet, methinks. I do wish I had started sooner, but I did get started and so can you. Just do it.
I do not think that 25 is too old. I am 32 and have just started moving to Game development. Yes most of my work at the moment is just for my own pleasure, but am hoping to grow up and make a living, or at least try to.

I did graphic design in school (mainly on paper, now in electronic form) but have been working as a Systems/Database Administrator in Microsoft products for the last 7 years. As I had vbscripting experience started with VB.NET when it was released, but now with c#...

Any way I got some advise early last year, "to get started find yourself simple games or projects on sourceforge that interest you, read the feature requests and try and code them."

Next start with simple projects for yourself and work on them. For me at the moment I am interested in Network programming and games, so I have started working on small systems that allow multiple connections. The current project is to convert a basic turn based game system, into a realtime system, then open it up to multi player.
Mykre - BlogVirtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under** For those Interested in an Australian XNA User Group Contact me though my site.
Thanks you are right. it is never to late to start and that was all the confidence I needed.

Thanks.
I was 25 when I moved from financal software development to games development. It's a fine age to start doing games.

Besides, as you grow older, you'll find that your code becomes cleaner, better organized, and more solid. I didn't become a really good developer until the last three years of my career, and I still have plenty to learn.
Quote:Original post by Cronicon
Thanks you are right. it is never to late to start and that was all the confidence I needed.

Thanks.
Maybe someone has told you that you have to start young to become good enough to be a games programmer. Whoever told you that was probably tying to scare you off. At 25, i dont see that there would be a problem.

Now that i think of it I can remember being told this by some people but i cant place exatly who. All i remember what people told me "to be a games programmer you have to be like programming from the age of 8 and become so elite." Maybe the Carmacks and the Sweenys and the guy who wrote the build engine (what was his name?) were like this, but for every one of them there is 50 other programmers who started programming in university and went into games after there. I really dont see how games is that differnt from normal programming. You have to show dedication and build a portfolio to get into the industry, but I am sure games programming other than being more intresintg is not too differnt then being a MS programmer writing parts of MS word.

I didnt know what a program looked like before I went to university though i wanted to be a programmer. 3 years later i dont see what would stop me at the age of 20 from getting into the industry one day...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement