Next generation innovation

Started by
21 comments, last by Madster 19 years, 2 months ago

Voice recognition for MMORPG (in place of typing messages to players) -- text output as a bubble and/or chat log mechanism.

When things get busy, players have little opportunity to type in msgs to coordinate a group players. (and for people who cant type one handed, they constantly have to keep moving hand back and forth to the mouse as well)

They could fo this today if they wanted to (you can do a decent VR with ~200Mhz
(a small portion of todays CPUs).

I relly wonder why games havent adopted it yet.

Of course voice activated modes/commands/etc could be activated as well, but keyboard/mouse is more precise.
Advertisement
Freedom.

Second Life

I don't think they quite "hit the nail on the head" with this one but I think a similar concept within an actual game would be brilliant.
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
I think touch-screen techniques will reach a point where they are considered part of the gaming furniture. I've had a play on one of those Nintendo DS devices, and it's quite the most brilliant thing. Maybe not next-gen, but certainly next-next-gen.
[sub]Now I'm radioactive! That can't be good![/sub]
As cool as the 3d virtual headset would be I don't see it as being feasible for at least 10 years or more. Its a shame though, it would be awesome to play a game with a helmet that senses your head and body movement and surrounds your field of vision with the game. It would make FPS' much more appealing.

Hey Madster, what kind of things could you do with a gyroscope controller? Would the character and/or his weapon move in sync with the player?

Replacing Mouse and Keyboard with HOTAS confoirmat controls:
That's just replacing a generalized system with a specialized system.

Touchscreens (and touchpads) :
Definately a good idea to push in the console market as there is a serious lack of fine control. They can also be integrated into gamepads more easily than a trackball. Still, they will add a cost to the controllers, but I think the march of console FPS games just might be the killer apps for them.

Voice Control / Command / Communication:
Voice communication is still a bit too infantile. Nuisances may be dealt with, but the inconvenice is high.
Speech-to-text is still is a bit rocky, imo.
Voice commands tend to work well, I've noticed. Coupled with text-to-speech, it allows for a fairly clear method of communication that is relatively easy to use. The downside is that players will undoubtedly want to creat their own commands, a semi-burden and an opening for nusisences. However, this method also uses a very small ammount of bandwidth, making it dial-up friendly. The depersonaliation factor can be a positive or a negative.

VR helms:
Ugh.... no, please. People get zoned out enough with headphones and digital audio players. I've noticed that my own GBA can be about as bad, at times. A total immersion is just asking for a plethora of problems.

Camera Control:
This seems like a good route, even though it is plagued with recognition problems in the typical "bad actor lighting" of many living rooms. I'm glad to see the player being taken off of the screen and merely put in control. It relieves a lot of the awkwardness of looking at a "video mirror" as well as allowing for much more immersive games. Hopefully this technology isn't just a fad, as it seems to be a lot more intuitive, if less precise, than the usual gamepad.
Quote:Original post by stevelat
Hey Madster, what kind of things could you do with a gyroscope controller? Would the character and/or his weapon move in sync with the player?

I was thinking something more earthly, like baseless analog joysticks.
But i guess that could work too, since gyroscopes don't have a turning limit. I don't know about their response speed, or if they oscillate. seen it done and it felt a bit hard to control (MS gamepad), but then again there was nothing pointing upwards, so it was difficult to orient. With a strap to your wrist and a gyroscope you could wield a sword or such, but only angle is read, not position. An accelerometer can gauge 'yanks' but again, not position.

Which is okay i guess =D
Working on a fully self-funded project
PC Hardware:

I don't think that a new type of controller would work. Seriously, the joystick we know is there since a long time, yet not that useful. I don't see any game developers aiming for a unique controller either, because the game would cost more for them as well as for the customers.

The keyboard is here to stay. Multiplayer games are really popular and came with a chat system. You need to access your keyboard really often. The mouse is something everyone can use easily too.

In fact, if there will be any real changes with game devices, it will first start with a new console idea. Making games on PC depends on what hardware you are aiming for first. If you can't reach a lot of people, you die. On a console it is far more easy as you know which devices gamers already possess.

PC Software:

Something that may appear is more than one client for the same game. Wouldn't it be cool if in the Sim Online you could do stuff while surfing the web (Sim Online site)? Or using the auction of World of WarCraft directly on their site?

--

Well that's enough for now. You've got great ideas guys BTW.
I agree that controllers will probably not change much except for wireless connection as the standard controller, but I think (and hope) that peripherals will take the innovation to the next level, implementing 3d movement by the player. The Onimusha sword controller was a brave attempt.
Quote:stevelat:
I can't wait for 50 vs 50 or 100 vs 100 online battles.

A game already exists with upto 500 people in one local area going all out in realtime, its called Planetside.

Wireless keyboards, VR headsets, HOTAS systems, touch screens. These are nice conventional input systems, but for innovative technologies, i'd have to go with Brainwave input controllers. Compared to VR headsets and bodysuits, using brainwaves gives a greater level of mobility with alot less hassle, provided such a system is worked out properly to work like conventional control systems.

Open Source EEG for Experimentation
Interactive Brainwave Visual Analyzer (IBVA) input controller

[Edited by - Gyrthok on January 18, 2005 1:25:21 PM]
and provided you shaved your head and have plenty of conductive.... goo.
if it could be done without the hassle of attaching electrodes directly on your skin, it could work.
Working on a fully self-funded project

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement