• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

avros algorithm working backways and i cant see why

This topic is 4794 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am using avros algorithm here to check if my charachter has hit a wall. all that is supposed to happen if he hits a wall is that a message box pops up.the problem is that as soon as he starts moving, the message box pops up, and keeps popping up until my charachter is half way through a wall. then it stops popping up. i cant find whats wrong, even though i know its prob real simple. i dont test the y axis as i dont use it.if it makes any difference, the center of my world, is on 0,0,0.
public bool SphereOverlapAABB(AxisAlignedBoundingBox aabb, Vector3 center, float radius)
		{
			//there is no need to check y as the charachter does not move along teh y axis(doesnt jump,go up slopes etc)
			float squareDistance = 0;
			float diff;

//check x
			if(center.X <aabb.MinX)
			{
				diff = center.X - aabb.MinX;
				squareDistance += diff*diff;
			}
			else if(center.X > aabb.MaxX)
			{
				diff = center.X - aabb.MaxX;
				squareDistance += diff * diff;
			}
			//check z
			if(center.Z <aabb.MinZ)
			{
				diff = center.Z - aabb.MinZ;
				squareDistance += diff*diff;
			}
			else if(center.Z > aabb.MaxZ)
			{
				diff = center.Z - aabb.MaxZ;
				squareDistance += diff * diff;
			}
			if (squareDistance <= radius)
			{
				System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show("you have colided with a wall");
			}
		return squareDistance<= radius*radius;

}

Advertisement
Just a typo. You're comparing the squared distance to the (unsquared) radius in the 'if' statement preceding the message box. Just paste in the code from the return statement (which is correct).

saw that, changed it but to no success. i think the reason why its not working is that i have a charachter, in a square room sorrounded by 4 walls. this algorithm works for one wall,but on the rest of them it doesnt. i have a feeling i will have to do the same algorighm out again , for walls that are on the minus side of the x axis. i have been trying this for the past while but with no success. can anyone explain how i should alter this to get it to work for a room sorrounded by walls?

got it sorted. was one of them dumass stupid , problems that my granny could have spotted. was so easy that i couldnt see it.sorry for taking up your time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement