Chicks dig giant robots

Started by
54 comments, last by Moe 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Quote from Top Hoaxes 2004
Mini Cooper Autonomous Robot
image Was it true that a bizarre humanoid robot made from the body of a BMW Mini Cooper r50 had been spotted prowling the streets of London and Oxford? And was it true that this robot would sometimes pop up out of nowhere and stop cars from crashing? The questions sound kind of odd, but after viewing the website of Colin Mayhew, the engineer who supposedly built this autonomous crash-preventing robot, many people were inclined to say that maybe there was something to those sightings. After all, who could argue with that amazing video of Mayhew's robot stopping a car from crashing into a wall? And then there was that book by Rowland Samuel, Men of Metal: Eyewitness Accounts of Humanoid Robots, described on Casson Publishing's website. All this evidence made the robot stories seem believable. But in reality the Mini Cooper Autonomous Robot, Colin Mayhew, and Casson Publishing were all just part of an elaborate viral marketing campaign dreamed up by the ad agency Crispin Porter & Bogusky. What were they advertising? The new Mini Cooper obviously.

Also look here: The Truth Behind the Men of Metal

And there's a whole New York Times article on it here.

It was just a big marketing thing. That's all.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Access

OOOOOHH Baby,

Zul put it like i would have. He will at least to me be the coolest guy in the world. I want one. If i had a company i'd support him and sooo associate myself with him.

I have always wondered why there isnt one already. Its funny what we can do and what we cant do. Theres planes that fly, jets, submarines, cars,..but no one has ever built a mecha /robot suit before.
Ive always been a dreamer though,..when i was a kid i put wires around my bicycle thinking i could make it fly. I spent more time playing in pretence world than most kids.
Something else id like to see besides this mecha,..is
1.) near-Virtual Reality. I know the parralax problem but surely theres a way. I'll find it eventually.

2.) Robot housewives: I dont know if housewives is the right word, but something like the NS-5 from I_Robot. Its purpose is just cleaning the house/ windows/washing plates/etc etc

thats why its good to have both creative ideas as well as the business skill to back them up and make them realities. Cuz projects cant just entertain,..they have to be financially successful too.

Whats the parralax problem in virtual reality?
Id be really interested to know so if anyone could explain?
Thanks.

-CProgramer
Quote:Original post by Agony
Also look here: The Truth Behind the Men of Metal

And there's a whole New York Times article on it here.

It was just a big marketing thing. That's all.

Damnit. Mecha-Robot is still awesome however, and I will pray to the Robot gods for his ascension.
oh hai
I want to marry the guy who is making the robot the OP posted!

More kickass robots:

Dante II: Volcano Explorer

Wabot: The robot that can talk and play the piano

A dinosaur robot!

A crazy pair of legs
Okay, the fact that I find this incredibly cool means that I will never have a date again...for the rest of my life.

Seriously though, the major problem I've seen when building theoretical mechs in my heads is the insane amount of power you'd need. I mean, how much power will you need to have something half the size of a small office building actually walk? F = ma is why large mecha are simply not feasibly. Well, until we invent that super lightweight yet insanely strong substance. Perhaps carbon-fiber mechs are the way to go, at least on the small scale?
______________________________"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" - J.J. Rousseau
Quote:Original post by Cold_Steel
Okay, the fact that I find this incredibly cool means that I will never have a date again...for the rest of my life.

Seriously though, the major problem I've seen when building theoretical mechs in my heads is the insane amount of power you'd need. I mean, how much power will you need to have something half the size of a small office building actually walk? F = ma is why large mecha are simply not feasibly. Well, until we invent that super lightweight yet insanely strong substance. Perhaps carbon-fiber mechs are the way to go, at least on the small scale?

Gundanium. I don't think composition is the problem, powering the thing is. power and balance.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
You've got to listen to me. Elementary chaos theory tells us that all robots will eventually turn against their masters and run amok in an orgy of blood and the kicking and the biting with the metal teeth and the hurting and shoving. --Professor Frink

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Quote:Original post by johnhattan
You've got to listen to me. Elementary chaos theory tells us that all robots will eventually turn against their masters and run amok in an orgy of blood and the kicking and the biting with the metal teeth and the hurting and shoving. --Professor Frink

Thats why I have an elite army of cybernetic zombies to protect me.

Ninjas and pirates need not apply.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Is that assuming the robots are given AI? Because I'm not giving my robots AI. They'll be human controlled. I mean, I'm a good programmer and all, but if I gave my giant robots AI, one would probably end up with a divide by zero error, and there goes the neighborhood. That gives a whole new meaning to fatal exception.
______________________________"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" - J.J. Rousseau
Quote:Original post by Cold_Steel
Is that assuming the robots are given AI? Because I'm not giving my robots AI. They'll be human controlled. I mean, I'm a good programmer and all, but if I gave my giant robots AI, one would probably end up with a divide by zero error, and there goes the neighborhood. That gives a whole new meaning to fatal exception.

ROFLMAO!
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement