• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
edgarv

Silly Question

This topic is 5057 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am not a programmer, although one day I dream to become one at the momment I am not. I have an idea to improve, or make a game more interesting. How would I go about this? I would like to network a game. Basically it would be just to keep the scores so other palyers could see them. Kind of like the golf machines that you see in bars but with a different game. does that make any kind of sence?

Advertisement
Are you talking about a game that already exists or about writing a game from scratch and including a network version. In the first instance you would be unlikely to be able to do it and in the latter case you would need to learn to program or hire programmers to do it for you or try and recruit people to do it for free (but finding good people who are willing to work on your idea for free is tough).

If your talking about this score table as being an original idea, sorry really couldnt understand you, then its already being done. I believe that Xbox live has this feature and maybe even the PS2.

Well, it depends on what game you're looking on improving.

If the game you have in mind has an active modding community, like a lot of the FPS games out there, then something like this may be possible. Many games do not release their source code or support modding, so then something like this would be impossible.

Of course modding isn't exactly the same thing as changing the game itself. When you make a mod, it's basically a "spinoff" of the real thing. So, people won't ever see the changes you made to the game unless they choose to install and run your mod, but they probably won't realistically do that unless your mod is very attractive to them. Thus, if all you do is just add 1 feature to a game, I doubt anyone will even play it.

Anyway just my 2 cents... In any case, the first step I'd recommend is to get yourself a compiler and start learning C++.

roos

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!