• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Preprocessor defines for using 8.1 interfaces with 9.0 SDK?

This topic is 4767 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

We're using DX 8.1 interfaces for one of our projects (it's a downloadable game, we want to minimize the number of users having to download DirectX, and 8.1 has a much higher installed base than 9.0). Anywho, we use the DX 9.0 SDK because that's what our other projects use. For this 8.1 project that will be built with the 9.0 SDK, besides including the DX 8 specific headers (d3d8.h instead of d3d9.h, etc.) and using DX 8 interfaces, are there any preprocessor defines we should use to tell DirectX to use the 8.1 versions of things? It seems like I remember something about this from earlier versions of DirectX, but I can't rememember the specifics.

Advertisement
I believe there are defines for every component of DirectX - at least there are ones for D3D, DirectSound and DirectInput when I looked in the headers:

DIRECT3D_VERSION
DIRECTINPUT_VERSION
DIRECTSOUND_VERSION

It looks like there is conditional compilation which goes on based on these definitions so if you want only DX8 stuff to be compiled into your project they will need defining by you as something like 0x800.

-Mezz

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement