• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mrmrcoleman

SetVertexShader...

This topic is 5066 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has the meaning of set vertex shader changed between DirectX8 and DirectX9? I have some sample code which uses DirectX8 that seems to supply to SetVertexShader an FVF declaration. I thought that SetFVF would have been used? Here is the code:
g_pd3dDevice->SetVertexShader(Vertex::FVF_Flags);

// Vertex definition
struct Vertex
{
     FLOAT x, y, z;
     FLOAT tu, tv;

enum FVF
     {
          FVF_Flags = D3DFVF_XYZ | D3DFVF_TEX1
     }
};

Thanks for any help guys. Mark Coleman

Advertisement
Yes, it has changed.

In DX8 vertex shaders were referred to by a HANDLE value, which is what you passed to SetVertexShader(). As it was simply numerical D3D obviously had some way of figuring out if you passed it a shader handle or just an FVF code, which was also legal.

As of DX9 verex shaders are interface classes of their own, so SetVertexShader() takes a class pointer as it's parameter, thus no longer accepting FVF codes. To set an FVF code you have to now do this:

device->SetVertexShader(NULL);
device->SetFVF(fvfCode);

Which will then use the fixed function pipeline.

EDIT: as for you wondering why SetFVF() wouldn't have been used - well, it wasn't around in the days of DX8, it was introduced with DX9.

-Mezz

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!