• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Holy Fuzz

[.net] Need a free (or very cheep) good C# profiler.

This topic is 4967 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone recommend a good and free or very cheep (with a trial so I can test it) code profiler for C# so that I can optomize my game engine? Thanks! All suggestions are appreciated. - Fuzz

Advertisement
You could always use CLR Profiler, the free profiler from Microsoft. It is quite excellent. That in combination with the various performance counters in PerfMon should give you what you need.

Worst answer possible- the CLR profiler sucks.

INteresting enough, there - is a VERY good one, free. But then, most people givingadvice have no clue what they say, and end up turning out advice that gets them fired in every company caring.

I suggest you have a look at the DevPartner Profiler, Community Edition, from Numega. I have been using this one thery successfully.

you can find it, among other things, here:

DevPartner Community Edition.

[Edited by - Washu on January 8, 2005 1:37:48 AM]

Thomas, you don't hold anything back, do you? Quite a useless comment "the CLR profiler sucks", methinks. Well, if it does suck (which obviously you have much more use with it than me), please explain why it sucks. You're not exactly helping the community with these comments, and not representing Microsoft MVPs that well either.

I've used the CLR profiler on personal projects and it works. Granted, it's not the best profiler out there. And if I was needing to profile an enterprise level application at work I would use DevPartner (or another profiler in the non-.NET world). However, I feel that for hobbyist projects, CLR profiler gets the job done. Do you think MSDN magazine sucks because they discuss utilizing CLR profiler (an article regarding CLR profiler and .NET 2.0 was in just this month's issue)?

In my opinion, it's all about the audience of your advice. If you're teaching an intro to Algebra class to middle/high schoolers, you wouldn't start out by trying to teach them complex number theory first, would you? I know I wouldn't it. Baby steps, my friend.

As a fan of Microsoft technologies and the MVP system, I think it is really important to be constructive with your advice and to represent your craft better. After all, if you are a Microsoft MVP, you are the face of Microsoft technologies to quite a few people on forums and newsgroups, whether you like it or not.

Remember, if you give a man a fish he will eat for a day. But if you teach that man to fish himself, he will eat for the rest of his life...

[Edited by - bL0wF1sH on January 6, 2005 6:47:22 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Holy Fuzz
Can anyone recommend a good and free or very cheep (with a trial so I can test it) code profiler for C# so that I can optomize my game engine?

Thanks! All suggestions are appreciated.

- Fuzz

Mono is the open source implementation of .Net check out www.go-mono.com for more info supports all platforms too don't know how good their code profiler is or even if they have one, but maybe worth a look though.

There is nprof.. it's not the easiest interface to get around at first, but once you get how it works it's quite powerful given how simple it is.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by thona
Worst answer possible- the CLR profiler sucks.

Isn't this the kind of flaming comments you as an MVP should be professional enough to refrain from?

That you don't like CLR Profiler doesn't mean it's useless to everyone. I've used it a lot and I do like it.

Something I DO like with the CLR profiler is that the support around it is excellent. Their team is very aggressive in answering questions. While Numega's tools often are great, I don't have the same support experience from them.

A relevant good link is: http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/programming/performance/

I have found that sharpdevelop is free..and much like microsoft's studio version..very very nice..except i havn't found out how the debugger (if it has one) works...check it out..

[google] for it

While I can understand your need to address Thona's lack of courtesy, you are NOT to antagonize people no matter how rude they are in my forums. Let me deal with it. Thanks.

This topic is 4967 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.