good source of free uncopyrighted music?

Started by
11 comments, last by jbadams 19 years, 3 months ago
i have found a few but i dont know if their breaking the law or if its truly free so dose anyone know of any sites that has free music. Instrimentals is really all im after and some background music for my game thanks alot [grin] [Edited by - raptorstrike on January 5, 2005 9:42:37 PM]
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Advertisement
This is not a game programming question... (moved to Music + Sound)
Completely free music available for download is a big ask. Often you will find music that is free, but requires payment of royalties, or similar arrangments. I'd suggest perhaps looking for a composer to donate some music for you, then you can also be sure it'll suit your game. If you can show that your game is complete or near-complete, you can often find composers looking for some practice or perhaps just some more work to thier name by posting in here or, more appropriately, the Help Wanted forum.

Perhaps someone else will know of some sites that suit your needs however.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Try here...
http://www.softworxs.de/e_music.html
Probably not what you are looking for, but what about classical
music, like bach/beethoven?

I bet the copyrights expired on that... or didn't they?

visit my website at www.kalmiya.com
Quote:Original post by Kitt3n
Probably not what you are looking for, but what about classical
music, like bach/beethoven?

I bet the copyrights expired on that... or didn't they?

I could be very wrong but wouldn't whoever performed/conducted/released that particular performance of the music be copyright?
If you wanted to use it would you have to perform it yourself and tape it or
use a music editor to recreate it?
There must be some kind of copyright or else it would be legal to copy CDs of classical music.
I am not a lawyer, however...I seem to remember it going something like this...

A given performance or recording of a piece of classical music is generally copyrighted. The piece itself is not as it is too old. Because of this, it's usually not too hard to find public domain versions of the scores for cheap or free.

You can record yourself playing Beethoven, and put it in your game. You can even include pdf's of the score (as long as it's a public domain version), you can not however, grab the nearest classical CD with a recording of the CSO (for example) performing Beethoven and put it in your game without paying royalties to the CSO and London recording or Deutsch Grammaphone, or whoever their publishing label is.
the copyright question has already been addressed here:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=286459
www.indiedevnews.com

well im assuming alot of people here have programmed games and probibly used music and im also sure that alot of people are in the same boat as me and dont have alot of money so how do THEY get music, you cant tell me that every single person wrote their own.

Also if just editing music would make it legal for me to use is there a free one of those? (a music editor that is)

I hope i dont sound rude here im just confused

thanks for your help [smile]
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Classical music and copyright gets rather complicated.

Music itself written by the "Greats" i.e. Bach and Beethoven, is obviously not under copyright, as such laws did not exists until 1911 or so. Music of composers who's life ended after 1911 (20th century composers like Stravinsky, Debussy, Bernstein, Copeland, etc.) is protected by copyright. Moreover, as was mentioned in an earlier posting, live performances of music are commonly protected by copyright law. However, there are exceptions.

A great place to go for music is
http://www.classicalarchives.com

much of the music there is not under any copyright as it was freely submitted.

Also I'd be willing to work with you if you find my music of interest. Check out the thread "DEMO" I recently posted with some samples of my work, and also check out http://www.newdepartures.org/martin/index.html

Thanks!

Steve

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement