• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sagar_Indurkhya

Foreign Symbols are getting mangled.

This topic is 4911 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am writing a little program for french class. I have a list of all these french verbs, and their english equivelent. So I randomly choose a french verb, then choose 5 english choices(one is correct) and display a multiple choice thingy to the user. The problem comes in when I use those foreign characters. I get these other weird symbols instead. I am using ascii, so what should I do? [Edited by - Sagar_Indurkhya on January 4, 2005 8:17:34 PM]

Advertisement
#include <cwchar>, use wchar_t anywhere you'd use a char, and use the wide character equivalents of cout, cin, and std::string, they are wcout, wcin, and wstring, respectively. And quote all your strings with an L, like this: L"hello".

getline is templated. It doesn't matter if you're using normal strings or wide ones:
std::wstring s;
std::getline(std::wcin, s);

Yes I am. I do:

wcout << L"aménager";

and it prints out:

espΘrer

but in Visual studio, when debugging, I check the value of a string containing L"aménager", and it shows "aménager", so I am thinking this has something to do with command prompt doing it wrong. I use

_tmain()
{

}

Weird. Running on an NT-based OS? I tried typing "echo aménager" at the command prompt and it answered me back with what I typed in, accent and all. Maybe the font on the command console differs from that of the IDE?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!