• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

typename operators

This topic is 4765 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Time for me to make another post Does c++ support any kind of typename operations? Basically I have a templated function & I pass it a pointer type. I then need to derive a reference type from that so that I can pass it onto the new operator. or using typedefs.. The reverse:
typedef char character
typedef *character text
What I'm doing:
typedef *char text
typedef &text character
(Why doesn't c++ support this?) I realise I could add an extra template parameter for the function to specify the reference type but what I wish to know is: Is there a way of deriving a reference type from a template pointer type? I fear a straight "no" is coming but I must @ least ask

Advertisement
You have a few options. For one, you can just make your function like this:

template< typename ValueType >
void your_function( ValueType* your_pointer )
{
typedef ValueType& reference_type;
}

or you can do:

template< typename Type >
struct pointer_to_reference;

template< typename ValueType >
struct pointer_to_reference< ValueType* >
{
typedef ValueType& type;
};

template< typename PointerType >
void your_function( PointerType some_pointer )
{
typedef typename pointer_to_reference< PointerType >::type reference_type;
// reference_type is now the same as a reference to
// an instance of the type that the pointer points to.

}

If you have boost installed, you can also use boost::remove_pointer and boost::add_reference appropriately (in the type_traits sublibrary).

Cheers. *cough* put the operator on the wrong side of the type. damn i always do that. But thanks, I had a good firm look through boost (bigger than I thought) - lots of good stuff to learn there. Well this was an area I was shaky on, but thanks to the direction you gave I'm comfortable with it now. Thanks for taking the time

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement