• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Databug

Useless Info

This topic is 4970 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just got and complier and started the lessons for how to program in c++ but some of the stuff there shoing me looks useless and i want to know is everything they teach importin or can i skip around? and if i can what should i skip to?

Advertisement
I will second that. If you can't get the basics down, chances are you won't get any of the advanced stuff down. I learned that from hard experience.

Just to reiterate, the fundamentals are essential! I am a 3rd year comp sci major and am having to learn a lot of stuff that I thought wouldn't help me. If you are doing this as a hobby then that means you are excited about this material, and it should all be interesting to you anyways! :)

Now, when I read a computer programming book I don't even skip over the amusing anecdotes or sidebars. I soak it all up and enjoy every second of it.

Chances are that they're showing you that material for a good reason. Even if you don't directly use something from a beginners tutorial or text, it will often be there to help you understand more complex topics later on, and can be invaluable with not getting stuck on the trickier topics.

Since you've only recently started, and aren't yet in a position to judge for yourself what information will actually be useful to you, I'd suggest going over all of it, even if only briefly. As you become more experienced, you'll probably be able to skip over some things, but only once you have the basics down.

As others have stated, it's very important to learn the basics, otherwise you'll likely just get stuck later. It can be somewhat boring at first, but it does pay off when you can produce your own games, and be proud of what you've created.

My advice is to stick at it. Read everything you can, and try out all the example programs. Fiddle with the example programs after trying them out - make small changes, and see what happens. This way you'll really get to know the code, and you might just discover something cool. [wink]

Goodluck with it, and don't forget that the most important thing is to put in the effort, and don't give up! [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!