• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Code::Blocks IDE version 1.0-beta4 released

This topic is 4794 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Code::Blocks is an open-source cross-platform IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for C/C++ - currently ;) It is built around a plugin framework that allows it to be extended through the use of external libraries (plugins). Version 1.0-beta4 offers many improvements over previous versions and a more stable development environment. The major new feature of this release is the support for more compilers. GNU GCC was already supported but MS Visual C++ Free Toolkit 2003 and Borland C++ Compiler 5.5 are now natively supported by Code::Blocks! By natively I mean compiler command-lines, compiler options, warnings/errors reporting, etc. Improvements were also made to foreign project files importing. Better handling of Visual Studio 6 (.dsp) files and the new import capability for Visual Studio .NET project files (.vcproj). Another major improvement is that now Code::Blocks compiles under Linux too (tested under Debian unstable and Gentoo - gtk2 needed). Besides new features, thanks to many users' bug reports, quite some bugs have been pointed out and fixed. For more information visit Code::Blocks HomePage. Here is a direct download link for the win32 installer. I hope you enjoy this release! Yiannis :)

Advertisement
I was pondering trying this out tonight, so I downloaded this new version, and it can't even open the editor! :S

Everything else works, but when I click on one of the project files to open it in the editor, nothing happens.

???

Quote:
Original post by Vampyre_Dark
I was pondering trying this out tonight, so I downloaded this new version, and it can't even open the editor! :S

Everything else works, but when I click on one of the project files to open it in the editor, nothing happens.

???

Can you be more specific? Like what OS, what type of file you 're trying to open, etc.
Also, it would be helpful if you could post the debug log text. If the debug log isn't visible, go to Settings/Environment and check "Display application's debug log".

Yiannis.

Quote:
Original post by evolutional
I'm going to give this a try tonight. What's the integration like with the GNU Debugger on Linux?

Ah! A brave user to compile it under Linux!
A couple of notes. First check the top of the file Makefile.unix and, possibly, adjust for your environment. Then just issue "make -f Makefile.unix" followed by a "make -f Makefile.unix update".

I have tested it under Debian and Gentoo. It compiles correctly but only *works* when wxGTK is compiled against gtk2. With gtk1, although it compiles fine, it segfaults and the program doesn't run. I haven't found out why yet.

There is no "install" target in the Makefile.unix. You have to either install it manually (no instructions yet, sorry) or, better yet, run it from inside the build directory. Cd to src/output and run it by issuing "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./codeblocks.exe" (without the quotes).

About gdb integration now, it's basic. The debugger needs a lot of work yet. For now, it can start a debugging session, set breakpoints, add watches and step through code. There is also a menu entry "Debugger/Send command to GDB" which allows you to send *any* command you want to GDB manually...

Good luck ;)
Yiannis.

PS. You will also need the libraries built from contrib/stc and contrib/xrc in the wxWidgets sources.
PS2. The supplied Makefile.unix is built for wxWidgets 2.4. In order to compile for wxWidgets 2.5.x, a few adjustments are needed in the Makefile.unix file. The source, though, is completely compatible with both wxWidgets versions.

EDIT: added answer about gdb (completely forgotten it writing build instructions :)

Hey mandrav,

I finally got it working under FC2. Had a bit of trouble installing the extra wxWidgets stuff (mainly xrc's Makefile was faulty), but Code::Blocks installed fine after that.

This series of steps causes an error...
1. Load Code::Blocks
2. Select New Project -> Console App
3. Select some directory that isn't codeblocks/devel
4. Click sources->main.cpp
5. Click compile and run
6. Select New Project (or any other option)

It then complains about not being able to find certain files...possibly due to the base path being modified when the compiler is called...

EDIT: logfile

23:14:28: Cannot open file './share/CodeBlocks/resources.zip#zip:dlg_about_plugin.xrc'.
23:14:28: Cannot open file './share/CodeBlocks/resources.zip#zip:dlg_about.xrc'.
23:14:28: Cannot open file './share/CodeBlocks/resources.zip#zip:env_settings.xrc'.
AND SO ON

Really nice, finally a free IDE that support Code Folding.
Unfortuantely, if you have a big project, it is not a good idea to switch from VC (or DevCpp) to CB and vice versa (VCB?).
because then you'll have to add a lot of files.
So it will be good if a DSW or DEV loader (and saver?) will be in Code::Blocks.
Or at least "load all cpp/h files from current directory" features (like, all .h files to directory x and all .cpp to directory y).
A gui editor tool will be nice (and useful) but i dont think its a must in the first version.

Good luck with your project,
pex.

Quote:
Original post by pex22
Unfortuantely, if you have a big project, it is not a good idea to switch from VC (or DevCpp) to CB and vice versa (VCB?).
because then you'll have to add a lot of files.
So it will be good if a DSW or DEV loader (and saver?) will be in Code::Blocks.

Currently imports *.dsp (VC6), *.vcproj (VC .NET?) and *.dev (dev-c++) project files. Export to these formats is not available. For dev-c++ I might consider it at some point but for visual studio, I don't think so. I don't own visual studio (any version) and all MS's project files contain, among files and compile options, configuration options which I really don't know what they do. So how could it export something it doesn't know?
Anyway, Code::Blocks isn't intended to be tied with any other IDE. The only form of "communication" with other IDEs will be importing their project files. And this is provided just as a convenience to the user.

Quote:
Original post by pex22
Or at least "load all cpp/h files from current directory" features (like, all .h files to directory x and all .cpp to directory y).

Right-click on the project (in the project tree) and select "Add files to project...". You can select multiple files simultaneously :)

Yiannis.

Quote:
Original post by Kuladus
Hey mandrav,

I finally got it working under FC2. Had a bit of trouble installing the extra wxWidgets stuff (mainly xrc's Makefile was faulty), but Code::Blocks installed fine after that.

Another adventurous guy! Glad to hear it's working under FC2.

Quote:
Original post by Kuladus
This series of steps causes an error...
1. Load Code::Blocks
2. Select New Project -> Console App
3. Select some directory that isn't codeblocks/devel
4. Click sources->main.cpp
5. Click compile and run
6. Select New Project (or any other option)

It then complains about not being able to find certain files...possibly due to the base path being modified when the compiler is called...

Thanks for the info. I will look into that.

Yiannis.

Looks promising. After a bit of tweaking I got it compiled and working under Ubuntu 4.10 (Warty) which is debian based. I'm getting quite a few of the Cannot open file ./share/CodeBlocks/todo.zip#zip:settings.xrc error messages whenever I try and do things options-related.

I think given a bit more work and some better integration with the debugger, this will be quite a useful IDE.

Quote:
Original post by mandrav
Can you be more specific? Like what OS, what type of file you 're trying to open, etc. Also, it would be helpful if you could post the debug log text. If the debug log isn't visible, go to Settings/Environment and check "Display application's debug log".

Yiannis.

MessageManager initialized
Manager initialized
PluginManager initialized
Configured 0 tools
ToolsManager initialized
EditorManager initialized
ProjectManager initialized
Scanning for plugins in C:\PROGRAM FILES\CODEBLOCKS/share/CodeBlocks/plugins...
Found 8 plugins: AstylePlugin ClassWizard CodeCompletion Compiler DebuggerGDB PluginWizard WindowsXPLookNFeel ToDoList
Importing C:\code\DLTest\DLTest.dev: done

I imported a DevC++ Project, and the files I was trying to open were just .cpp and .h files. I can't open anything, and no editor window appears. I'm in Win98se

I think you could use some sample screenshots on your homepage. For us hesitant folk n' all.

- carb

Quote:
Original post by carb
I think you could use some sample screenshots on your homepage. For us hesitant folk n' all.

- carb

Erm, did you look at the top-right of the homepage? There are a couple of screenshots there...

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by mandrav
Can you be more specific? Like what OS, what type of file you 're trying to open, etc. Also, it would be helpful if you could post the debug log text. If the debug log isn't visible, go to Settings/Environment and check "Display application's debug log".

Yiannis.

MessageManager initialized
Manager initialized
PluginManager initialized
Configured 0 tools
ToolsManager initialized
EditorManager initialized
ProjectManager initialized
Scanning for plugins in C:\PROGRAM FILES\CODEBLOCKS/share/CodeBlocks/plugins...
Found 8 plugins: AstylePlugin ClassWizard CodeCompletion Compiler DebuggerGDB PluginWizard WindowsXPLookNFeel ToDoList
Importing C:\code\DLTest\DLTest.dev: done

I imported a DevC++ Project, and the files I was trying to open were just .cpp and .h files. I can't open anything, and no editor window appears. I'm in Win98se

This is the plain log. Can you post the "Debug log", as requested?
Anyway, I had another bug-report like yours, which was under win98se too. I guess I have to install win98 and run some tests there...

Thanks for the info,
Yiannis.

Quote:
Original post by mandrav
This is the plain log. Can you post the "Debug log", as requested?
Anyway, I had another bug-report like yours, which was under win98se too. I guess I have to install win98 and run some tests there...

Thanks for the info,
Yiannis.

Where is this Debug log?

[19:15:27.670]: Loading C/C++ highlighter
[19:15:27.670]: Loading LUA highlighter
[19:15:27.830]: Loading LUA highlighter
[19:15:27.940]: Added compiler "MinGW Compiler Suite"
[19:15:27.940]: Added compiler "Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003"
[19:15:27.940]: Added compiler "Borland C++ Compiler 5.5"
[19:15:28.220]: Loading workspace ""

You mean this? okay. I'll edit this post in a minute and tell you what it says.

Okay, I got ths when trying to open my cpp file.

[19:20:24.100]: Failed to open 'C:\code\DLTest\c_node.cpp'

Everything displays correctly except the editor window.. there is nothing there. Just the background of the dialog/window.

Quote:
Looks promising. After a bit of tweaking I got it compiled and working under Ubuntu 4.10 (Warty) which is debian based.

He he, Ubuntu then goes on the list :)

Quote:
I'm getting quite a few of the Cannot open file ./share/CodeBlocks/todo.zip#zip:settings.xrc error messages whenever I try and do things options-related.

Have you run "make -f Makefile.unix update" after compilation (please note the "update" target)? Does ./share/CodeBlocks/todo.zip actually exist? When you see this message, does the configuration window appear after the message?

Thanks for all the info,
Yiannis.

Quote:
Okay, I got ths when trying to open my cpp file.

[19:20:24.100]: Failed to open 'C:\code\DLTest\c_node.cpp'

Everything displays correctly except the editor window.. there is nothing there. Just the background of the dialog/window.

It seems there is an issue under win98se. I 'll investigate it tomorrow and we 'll see what I come up with.

Thanks again,
Yiannis.

Quote:
Original post by mandrav
Have you run "make -f Makefile.unix update" after compilation (please note the "update" target)? Does ./share/CodeBlocks/todo.zip actually exist? When you see this message, does the configuration window appear after the message?

I did run the update target afterwards, yes. I'll check if the file exists in the zip when I get home from work. The configuration windows do appear, yes - I just get the error/warning message.

Quote:
I did run the update target afterwards, yes. I'll check if the file exists in the zip when I get home from work. The configuration windows do appear, yes - I just get the error/warning message.

If the window appears, the file exists. I think it has to do with the launch command I gave you before.
Instead of "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./codeblocks.exe", use this little script:

#!/bin/sh

# adjust the following line
# e.g. if you have the sources in /home/user/cvs/codeblocks, then
# make it APP_DIR=/home/user/cvs/codeblocks/src/output
APP_DIR=<insert_full_path_to_dir_with_codeblocks.exe>

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$APP_DIR:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$APP_DIR/codeblocks.exe --prefix=$APP_DIR

This should also allow you to launch Code::Blocks from anywhere in the system. You could even create a shortcut to this script file on your desktop.

Yiannis.

Quote:
I'll try it later when I get home from work :)

What plans do you have for future development of this IDE?

I think it just needs to be stable - then finish it. Its a nice and simple IDE which has configurable power in plugin development. Only thing I would prefer is a vim-style editor, but hey, you can't have everything!

After playing with it for a bit, I'd like to request a couple of features ;)

Currently, it seems the Project explorer is using the physical directory structure of the disk. If possible, I'd like to be able to use a virtual directory structure instead (like MSVC does). It's not a huge problem, but allows me to logically partition code that may or may not be sitting in the same directory path. Also, in the file exporer - I'd like to be able to multiple select files for removal from the project (possibly with a shortcut key 'delete').

That's all for now - I might have a go at using this instead of Anjuta for a bit ;)

Quote:
After playing with it for a bit, I'd like to request a couple of features ;)

Currently, it seems the Project explorer is using the physical directory structure of the disk. If possible, I'd like to be able to use a virtual directory structure instead (like MSVC does). It's not a huge problem, but allows me to logically partition code that may or may not be sitting in the same directory path.

I don't know what MSVC does (I 've never owned it). In Code::Blocks, if you check "Project/Project tree properties/Categorize by file types" it will group the project files by file type, like "Sources", "Headers", etc. These groups you can edit or add more so it's somewhat customizable.
Uncheck then "Project/Project tree properties/Display folders as on disk" and no disk structure in the project tree.
Quote:
Also, in the file exporer - I'd like to be able to multiple select files for removal from the project (possibly with a shortcut key 'delete').

Yes, me too :)
Seriously.

Guest Anonymous Poster
When i click on Compile, it only writes "Command execution failed...". I'm using the Visual C++ Toolkit. I didn't change the "Microsoft SDK"-folder in the settings, because I have no idea what that is. :P

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement