• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

frame rate goes up and down crazily...

This topic is 4763 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, The frame rate of my app written with D3D goes up and down crazily from about 5fps to hundreds of fps. I rewrote my pixel shader, so that it returns a constant color, and the frame rate stays stably at about 100fps. Does anybody know what the problem may be? Thanks a lot! ctian

Advertisement
Exorcist,

Thank your for your reply. But I am afraid that
1. I am pretty sure that there is not any suspect background program running when testing my app.
2. In the main loop, I did nothing expensive. The program is logically very simple and what is complex is the lighting model. I assigned almost all the work to GPU.
3. The frame rate varies greatly while the geometry and the view stay unchanged.

What else could the problem be? Thanks!

ctian

I'm guessing your pixel shader is criminally inefficient. You say it's what's doing most of the work, and it also stop causing problems when it's removed.

Go over your pixel shader with a fine tooth comb, there's obviously something in there that's causing some major GPU eatage.

Other than that, it might be a driver or implementation issue. Get the latest drivers for your card, or try implementing a different lighting method.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement