• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Magnus Wootton

really slow drawing speed

This topic is 4886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

my meshes are coming out really slow. my max triangle count is about 2000 before it starts crunching and it should be 100,000. its in direct x 9. im using basic vertex and index buffers, drawing in one hit, not using a texture, using the fixed function pipeline with everything off, so what could be the problem? im pretty sure im doing it right, im not doing anything else apart from drawing it. (if you help me here a million blessings)

Advertisement
When you say slowly, how slowly do you mean? Is it that the application slows to a crawl ( a few fps) or that you would expect higher from a program that is only rendering 2000 triangles?

If its the second problem then check what your fps actually is. if its something like 60,75,85 exactly then you are probably VSYNCing. This prevents tearing but limits your fps to your monitors refresh rate (hence the numbers I just gave you).

If it is this to turn of VSYNC set your PresentationInterval to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE in your pPresentationParameters when you create your D3DDevice.

Other things to check is if you are locking and filling your vertex/index buffers each frame instead of at load time. If you are doing this it will hamper performance. If you are creating new buffers each frame that will kill performance too. Accidently including the loading code inside the runtime method/function is an easy thing to do by mistake :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!