MSc programme

Started by
5 comments, last by c0dec 19 years, 3 months ago
Hi all. I'm interested in doing an MSc course in game development. I aspire to be a PC/Playstation programmer. I've gone through most of all the available courses on the net (http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~steve/games/gamesCourses.html#c3 plus a few others) and narrowed them down to these two: - University of Hull, Department of Computer Science MSc Games Programming (http://www.mscgames.com) - Sheffield Hallam University, School of Computing and Management Sciences MSc Entertainment Software Development (http://www.esdmsc.com) The Msc Games Programming at Hull seems more impressive and thorough in terms of course content but they work with PC/Nintendo systems. The MSc Entertainment Software Dev. which is in conjunction with SCEE/Playstation offers industry placements with resulting job marketability. I'm just seeking out opinions especially from anybody that has taken or is currently taking any one of these courses. Thanks
Advertisement
From what I've seen Hull is better for games courses (though I've been to neither univerty).

However I think if you are set on Playstation programming and Sheffield offers work placements in what you want to do then Sheffield would seem the better choice.
From all things I've heard about getting into Game Development it doesn't matter much about your degree as long as you have one and that the major factor in getting a job in the gaming industry is a outstanding portfolio. So, although I have no experience myself, I would recommend not getting one of these game development (because although they may seem the perfect way to get into the industry, if that industry ever saturates you'll be useful to barely anybody) and instead getting a CS degree (or Maths or Physics) as these degrees will give you knowledge you may not learn whilst developing games and which would be useful to something other than game development, which is why I'm getting a Maths degree rather than anything else.

BUT, if you're so keen on getting on one of these degrees I think the Hallam course sounds better because it's Entertainment Software Development which doesn't sound as specific as Games Programming AND it offers industry placements which is great in any degree I think.

Out of interest, what subjects are you doing at A Level (assuming you're doing A Levels ATM).

Thanks
TomX
I know you didn't mention it, but I'm currently in the second year of the Abertay course. This year one of our main modules is PS2 programming, and there are two labs of PS2 Linux kits and accompanying dev PC's that were donated to the uni by Sony. That module is taught by a Dr Henry Fortuna who seems to be well thought of amongst amateur PS2 development folk, and he certainly seems to know his subject well in the lectures. It's definately my favourite module this year. There is a slight walk-before-you-can-run pace to parts of the work (we're discouraged from doing actual 3D work just yet), but the assignments are generally fairly open ended so there'll always be something reasonably fun to learn and apply. This isn't to say that the entire course is without problems, but if your heart is set on the Playstation development you can be sure of getting to do some on the Abertay course.
Ofcourse if you want all the stuff that is done on the PS2 in abertay is hosted here aswell http://www.hsfortuna.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ by the lecturer meaning that luckily you dont have to come to abertay to use his stuff, you just need a ps2 dev kit.
I've recently graduated from Hull on the MSc course and although they didn't have any formal teaching on PS2 programming (well we had a Phd guy talk to us about the nuts and bolts of programming the PS2) there are PS2 Linux Dev kits there if you want to use them. I'd just say do a bit of research on the courses on offer and don't believe everything that the University tells u...
Thanks a lot guys.

TomX > I already have a B.Tech in Maths/Computer Science, so i guess i already have an escape route if the industry ever fails (which seems unlikely to me at least while i'm still alive).

moagstar > Any luck yet getting into the industry? Any job offers?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement