Best 3D file formats

Started by
9 comments, last by fireside 19 years, 3 months ago
Hi all! I'm new here, so start meeting with a question :-) I'm starting to develop a 3d engine with support od LUA scripting, but before I start whit the real work I tried to project how the things should be done. Now, my question is: which is the 3D file format that I have to use? I need somethig that isn't to hard to code, but must support animation and keyframes and , off course, that is free to use. Please, Help Me!?! Thanks a lot! [sorry for bad english ;-)]
Advertisement
Id be inclined to say 3DS as its a very robust well known format, with what your looking at, but can be a bit of a pain at times to work with (initially anyway).

If I were you Id look at Milkshape3Ds format .ms3d. It supports what your looking for including animation, should be able to find a sample code on google.
So you don't have to google.

Milkshape tutorial at
NeHe
Thanks for reply so fast ;)
I've already thougth to 3DS, but i can't figure out hot to manage the animations...
I've not clear the form in witdh it is saved :-(
And in my last attempts I found strage errors in chunck skipping.
I'm looking at Milkshape3D format, but i hope olso in other advices about formats to implement.
Thanks ! ;-)
Sorry, Another question:
can I use the same format also for the mapsor use different formats is better?
ReThanks:-D
cal3d is the best thing in the world for characters. i would seriously check it out.
Quote:Original post by swordman
Sorry, Another question:
can I use the same format also for the mapsor use different formats is better?
ReThanks:-D

Well it seems like you are looking for character formats so using that for a map just wouldn't work. Im not even sure if any models would work. You should look into the famous quake3 maps.

file format specs

You should be able to figure out how it works from there.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Hello!
Thanks all for help! I found all the replies very usefull, and finaly I've collected enough infos to start to work on!
At least, my journey starts ;)
Hey man!

I'd recommend milkshape3d also... You can decompose many game formats ala half-life into .ms3d so you have some files to play around with. I just implmented a very good loader in dx9/animation if you need anyhelp lemme know.

I personally dont like milkshape because its matrices based :) but if using it you could use Milkshape's ascii format for start, where you can clearly see what is going on in the file.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement