• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Moe

[java] Learning Java. Any advice?

This topic is 5020 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I will be starting school tomorrow at NAIT (the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology). In one of my courses I will be learning Java, which I really know nothing about. I was just wondering if any of you could tell me anything that might be useful in learning Java. Anyone?

Advertisement
I was just wondering how it compares to learning something like C++.

You do not have to deal too much with memory management as you do in C++. Objects are always passed by reference and primitives are passed by value. It is a little harder to write procedural code in java but definitely still possible. =)

Java is not slow, only the code is. ;)

Quote:
Original post by Moe
Hey all,

I will be starting school tomorrow at NAIT (the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology). In one of my courses I will be learning Java, which I really know nothing about. I was just wondering if any of you could tell me anything that might be useful in learning Java. Anyone?

It's a programming language.

And don't try to make goo of C# fanboys too much. Show them some dignity and knowledge, if that fails use 155 mm howitzer with HE ammo, or plasma gun.

If this is your first language, then make sure you do all your assignments. Take each assignment and take it further, expand on it. If you take the concepts you're taught and try to apply them to different ideas that what you've been told, you'll be surprised at how much more you'll start to understand what you're doing. I'd say half the java I know I learned outside my classes, but at the same time I strengthened my knowledge of what was taught.
And ask questions if you're confused. Trust me, you won't be the only one getting confused.

Yes, you should definitly get a book of some sort, preferable one that covers all the basics (Object Orientated Programing, Swing, Applets, Network, etc). If you find a subject hard, you can buy a more specified book. (I found one or two Java Basic books very handy, I still use them as reference for some small things that I tend to forget.)

If you got the basics of Java in your hands and want to write Games, I really really recommand the book "Developing Games in Java" by David Brackeen. It's a really cool book, which covers alot of ground.

Just my opinion ;)
Wesley

MicroCenter has that same book (but for 1.3sdk) for $5. Just about all 1.3 related books are $5 at microcenter.

If you already know another language (or even if you don't though it will be harder to follow), check out Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel. It's even available for free download! Of course actually having a book makes it easier to read. This book is how I learned Java in about a month (though I already was experienced in C++, which makes it much easier)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!