• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Game Engine Book

This topic is 4764 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have bought some "Game Engine" books, but none of these teaches you the basics of a game engine (game loop, kernel etc). Is there any book that covers these type of things? I want a book similar to the Enginuity tutorials, but more comperhersive.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by yzzid
Which books did you buy?

I bought Game Engine Design(David H. Eberly) and Real Time 3D Terrain Engines using C++ and DirectX 9(Greg Snook).

Quote:
Original post by Ainokea
Look at the enginuity articles here.

I have already looked at Enginuity articles, but I need something more comperhersive and more complete.

Well what exactly are you looking for? You say you want to know the basics such as how the kernal works, and enginuity explains that. Please explaing more in depth at what you are looking for.

I am looking for a book that explains everything on this diagram:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/enginuity2/layout_sm.gif

Quote:
Original post by George109
I am looking for a book that explains everything on this diagram:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/enginuity2/layout_sm.gif

That diagram isnt necessarily gospel. It is a good start ofcourse but the layout of an engine varies enourmously with the application of it.

I would just start simple and work your way up , designing your own.

ace

Saruman pasted the link to "3D Game Engine Programming". I have read this book and it covers many of the basics of architecting an engine. Currently I am writing an engine myself and I am basing it off of this book and the two books you have bought. I think together they give enough information to build a decent engine.

Chris

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement