SIMD Articles, Books, Tutorials, etc

Started by
2 comments, last by b2b3 19 years, 3 months ago
Does any one know any good sources on using SIMD technologies like MMX, SSE, 3dnow, etc?

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

Advertisement
Intel's assembly instruction reference docs.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Unfortunately not. I think people at this point just learn by doing. I started by writing an SSE matrix-vector multiply routine, then ray-triangle intersection code, ray-box, triangle-box... Basic, well-known algorithms that are heavy on vector math.

Grab AMD's CodeAnalyst and learn how to use "Pipeline Simulation Mode" so you can see which instructions are stalling and for how long. If you search for "SSE" in the forums, I've posted a decent amount of code.
Well, Intel's docs are only reference. They don't contain any useful code. You can search on google for sse and maybe you will find some open source libs that use it. I found few examples that way and it was pretty helpful.
This is test written by one member of gamedev (sorry, I forgot name [smile]). It contains most commonly used vector operations. It's in delphi. Maybe it will help you.

EDIT: Ahh, his name is LoreKeeper.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement