How far can MMORPG's go

Started by
10 comments, last by Ned_K 19 years, 3 months ago
I want to know if it is possible to make a MMORPG that allows players to buy and earn money from the MMORPG world that they are playing in. Without it be outsourced to a site like Ebay or something. I am planning on making a MMORPG that would allow players to earn an income from the game, but at the same time every thing in the game would have a real dollar figure on it. Don't ask for the details I have all the details in design documents and they are all protected. Details can only be seen upon signing a NDA. I am looking to see if the world is ready for this type of idea. I am also in the stage of recruiting people. I am right now looking for a concept artists.
Advertisement
good luck with that.
I just wonder if you're ready for this kind of game - or more importantly, the responsibility/liability of such a game?

I admit I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that you'd make money by selling people a means of making money...but that's the American Way, so it shouldn't surprise me. But would these "gamers" then become contract employees? Franchise vendors? Cooperative partners?

What happens when their virtual goods get hacked, or your server crashes? What liability do you open yourself up to?

If the virtual market crashes, do you hold any liability for it - since I'm sure some would argue that as the creator of the virtual world you should be intimately aware of ups and downs of it, and thus are ultimately liable for any losses incurred by the "gamers"?

Would this end up being conceived as virtual gambling? Commodities trading?

All hypothetical questions, but this is just at a glance at your concept. You should call it Virtual Can O'Worms, because that's what you'd potentially be opening :) Good luck with it, 'tho.
[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
Have a look at Second Life. From what I've read about it you can create objects in the game through modelling and scripting and sell them to other people. You can also transfere money in and out of the game world.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
That was pretty interesting, re Second Life. It never ceases to amaze me what people will pay real money for. Virtual goods that have no value outside the virtual world. Or, to some extent, IN the virtual world.

Barnum was right. :)
[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
First, I have been studying second lifes idea in as much depth as I can. I am contacting governments now to try and find out how player of the game would be considered employees, partners, etc. From what I have figure out they could be employees or like the ebay model they might have there own business and just use ebay as way to sell there items. I have also created how many different ways there will be to make money in the game. Of course, the easiest is buying and selling items to other players. The other ideas are alot more complicated and I won't bother to tell you the details. Now of course we would have to control hacking as much as possible by not allowing it and crashing I hate to say it would occur, but we love for it to never happen 'knock on wood'. However, since the player is going to be paying a monthly subscribition there will be a process for them to enter if that server crashes. If that server crashes they will either gain there money back of the items they had or they can get the items back they had. I also started a post on the business forum, which explains the idea in more depth.
There is a game called Project Entropia. I think someone bought an island there for several thousands of US dollars recently. The game is connected to your favourite ATM card.

/RC
Ahem... I gotta say this...

Their -

# Used as a modifier before a noun: their accomplishments; their home town.
# use ebay as way to sell their items

There -

# To, into, or toward that place: wouldn't go there again.
# At that stage, moment, or point: Stop there before you make any more mistakes.
# In that matter: I can't agree with him there.

I hope I do not offend, i'm a rubbish speller too, but it's textbook dammit!

[edit - more examples!]
------ ----- ---- --- -- -Export-Games.com is searching for talented and friendly developers. Visit our Help Wanted post for more info!My Indie development uber Journal - A game production walk through.
There is such a game being devloped in Denmark I think. When you start playing you get a certain amount of money that is connected to an account, then you can get in to realestate or adventure and make more money or something. From this account you can withdraw or insert real money.
Quote:Original post by Rosecroix
There is a game called Project Entropia. I think someone bought an island there for several thousands of US dollars recently. The game is connected to your favourite ATM card.
/RC

Yeah, from I remember in-game money was actually exchangeable with real money. I think if I remember it correctly he might actually be making money with that, as he can tax other players who make money on his island or some such, and he can still sell it at some point.

Well, a game like this as a way to earn money will always be difficult. In the same way that some people will win money, others will have to lose (more) money to make up for that. Thus, you'll have to find a way to do both at the same time and balance them so that you still make enough money to at least keep the servers running etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement