How far can MMORPG's go

Started by
10 comments, last by Ned_K 19 years, 3 months ago
Indeed there are projects like the mentioned above. I think the idea behind it is that people will keep most of the money virtual thus leaving the company that organised the whole thing with a lot of cash on their hands. Then the company can simply invest the money, just like banks do. It is actually possible for some very good players to make a living out of playing a MMORPG. And besides you'll always have lots of people comfortable with being at a money loss just because they enjoy the game (as it happens with ordinary MMORPG's).

I heard of second life and this Swedish project I can't remember a name of the top of my head.

There are cases of people making money of regural MMORPG's like UO. They make and uber character and then hunt for rare artifacts and sell them to other players for real money. Hey if people are willing to cash out for a Boy band CD then why wouldn't they cash out for a virtual artifact (the art value of the latter is far greater, anyway)
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by EricTrickster
It never ceases to amaze me what people will pay real money for. Virtual goods that have no value outside the virtual world. Or, to some extent, IN the virtual world.

Barnum was right. :)

No, not really. Think about it. People play these virtual games and it's their hobby. They could go out and drink on Friday night, spending $20 or $30 on beer and drinks, all of which is simply GONE when they are done. They spend this money to relax and have a good time. They could have model rocketry as their hobby, where they have to spend money on consumable engines and parts just to watch the rocket go up and then fall down. That's a transitory event. People spend money on things they enjoy. Spending money on items in a virtual world is little different from people spending money for the monthly fee. They want to enjoy themselves, and they are willing to pay to do so. To use the "Barnum" analogy is to COMPLETELY not understand what motivates people in their leisure time and in their hobbies (or addictions).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement