• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vidalsasoon

ODE - fitting a good geom(s) to mesh.

This topic is 4889 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

my physics/collision detection is working nicely but find myself having to guess the dimensions of the geoms I have to use. is there a setting or tool to make this easier?

Advertisement
Just as with your previous thread - ODE questions go to the "Alternative Game Libraries" forum, not OpenGL.

I usually take the bounding box of whatever mesh I'm loading, and turning that into a box geom. You can also use the bounding capsule, or bounding sphere, and turn that into spheres or capsules. For static (immovable) stuff, I use the actual rendered geometry as meshes, minus materials marked as non-colliding.

If you want something better than that, you could construct the actual collision geometries in your modeling tool as a separate mesh with nodes for boxes, spheres, etc, and import that data into your ODE model.

would a severely reduced poly count work as well? the reason i am asking this is because I had a tank (complex mesh, trimesh) that i dropped onto a landscape (trimesh). The tank got some resitence but kept falling through. I wasnt sure if it was because I wasn't using some simple box geom or my polycount was too high for the trimesh.

just dropping simple box geoms onto my landscape worked very well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!