• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mcgrath50

Internet Programing

This topic is 4918 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I have been making webpages using HTML for as long as I can remember, I have learnt the basics of PHP. But I want to for a local competition thingo I want to make a text based turn game. (Im sure you played em some are Kings of Chaos Bootleggers etc.) They are a games where you can do things (like steal from a bank for example) then you can't do it for a few minutes. I first though PHP but then when I read deeper I found somthing saying I can use C++ which I dont understand if I can or not. So what am I asking, what language should I use as I am pretty new to programing (though have done some in Liberty Basic and Java). Thanks!

Advertisement
Basically any language can be used on the server side; you receive input which encodes the data in a form, and you output data which represents a web page (or an image, or anything else for that matter; tagged appropriately with a header describing the content). Of course, some languages are better at it than others...

Anyway. Read up on CGI.

Since you already know PHP, might as well use it. Using C++ would just complicate things, and if you use Java, you'll need to make applets.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with using C++ or Java applets, but if this competition is going to end soon, and you want all the time to do actual programming, use PHP, for now. =)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!