• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Nivoc

how is D?

This topic is 5074 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

have any of you tried the language D? if so what do you think about it? how is it in comparison to C and C++ when it comes to game programming?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Randy of Neuron
Well from my knowledge the language "D" doesn't exist, it was thought of to be the name for what is now C#. That is my understanding, though I am not 100% certain.

The D Programming Language
Don't assume, Google!

BTW I haven't used it myself but it is supposed to be 'a better C++'. It may be so, but lack of support and documentation would draw me back from it.

Whoa Randy of Neuron, totally wrong...

Please ignore that post completely.

Many people like D, but as I understand, it is very poorly supported. I would stick with C++ or C#.

Quote:
Original post by Prototype
it is supposed to be 'a better C++'. It may be so, but lack of support and documentation would draw me back from it.

not a bad summation. well there isnt a lack of support really, but:
a) its still in development
b) the documentation indeed sucks, yet everything different from c++ is explained. this is however quite frustrating for people who dont really know c++.
c) it can interface with libraries from other languages, but you need to generate some funky file which i dont get, so im using an SDL file someone else made. which sucks because im dependant on other people for newer versions or other libs, and the D community isnt really huge yet. its mainly a matter of lazyness on my part though.

that said, its my language of choice. its just much more elegant than c++, gives the same low level programming power yet also has more high level features where desired, and generally, its just well thought out. (imo)

i really like it in any case, and i dont know any other language that offers the same thing. c# might come close, but doesnt have the low level thing that D has.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!