How to open frozen car doors?

Started by
25 comments, last by Raduprv 19 years, 3 months ago
Is there any trick on opening car doors that are frozen inside? We can't get in the god damn car (Ford Taurus 2001), all the doors are frozen. And we don't have a remote start either.. Is this something normal, or we are just unlucky? [Edited by - Raduprv on January 6, 2005 8:10:14 AM]
Advertisement
Use a truck.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
I've usually just been able to pull really hard and the ice will break...

(we often make a conversation about it later...*yuk yuk yuk*)
forcing it open is a really bad idea!

ace
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
Is there any trick on opening car doors that are frozen inside? We can't get in the god damn card (Ford Taurus 2001), all the doors are frozen. And we don't have a remote start either..
Is this something normal, or we are just unlucky?

Your locking mechanism is probably frozen over. Do not splash hot water on your car. The thermal stress can cause your windshield or door glass to break. Use a hair dryer to heat up your key, or dip it in some rubbing alcohol. If the key turns but the door still refuses to budge, you'll have to go more drastic. You can also try rubbing some salt on the rubber around the door jamb.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
You can also get special "key-oils" (dont know the exact english word) for frozen locks, in spray boxes.
Breath onto/into the lock hole, try to make the ice melt or get breakable enough.

Seconded Jesper T: Buy anti-freezing spray, you'll know you want to

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

If the lock is frozen, then heat up the key.
If the door hinges are frozed, a hairdryer might work but never tried it. Just be careful you don't break the door handle off if you try to force it open.
I have a thingy on a keyring that has a thin metal probe (like a flat-ended knife bladed, just not sharpened that when slid out heated up. Great for my bike lock [grin]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Doors being frozen is a regular occurrence after an Ice-Storm here in New England.

Lock-DeIcer will work well with frozen door locks, but most times, it's the door that's frozen to the car and not the lock. One way to try an break it free is to use one hand on the door handle lifting up on the handle (to "open the door") and then try to pry and pull the top of the door (by the door seal) to try and free it. (usually doors freeze by the top door seal). Remember not to pull at the handle too much or you'll break it - pull the TOP of the door (if you can get fingers in at seam)

Alcohol will sometimes help melt the ice around the doors as well, also what works good is windshield washer fluid (since that is basically alcohol too).

A good way to prevent your doors from freezing is to (no lie) spread vassoline on the door seals. The oil will help dispel the water that freezes.

Hope this helps - I know first hand how much it sucks to be frozen out of your car on a cold winter night!

Roach

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement