• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mikeman

OpenGL Tutorial on rendering bright lights

This topic is 4974 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In the last few days, I've been trying to put together a small tutorial, just for the experience of writing one. Well, it's done. It's about how to render bright lights in a cheap and relatively efficient way(no HDR). I know it's not much, but this is the first I ever wrote. Anyway, here it is: http://www.angelfire.com/games5/mikeman/BrightLightsGL.htm Moderators: Feel free to move this to the Announcements, I just thought it would be okay to post it here since it is about OpenGL.

Advertisement
well written esp if english isnt your first language,
your billboarding/camera orientation method though is far from ideal but its a minor complaint a very good first effort

Quote:

...your billboarding/camera orientation method though is far from ideal

Yeah I know, I just didn't wanted to spend any more time on cameras and billboarding, since it's not really the point of this tutorial,so I preferred a quick solution(although it does work). The reader may use other tutorials especially written for billboards. Maybe I'll put some references in the end of the tutorial or something.

[Edited by - mikeman on January 6, 2005 4:40:35 PM]

nicely written! :) I'd like to suggest something more advance in your next tutorial though (probably build on this current one) :)

Quote:
Original post by _nomad_
I'd like to suggest something more advance in your next tutorial though (probably build on this current one) :)

Hey, I never said I was John Carmack :). I can only write about what I know. Since I started this, I'm thinking of writing next a tutorial of how to render the spotlight effect, which is more tricky. It may require vertex shaders this time though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!