Tutorial on rendering bright lights

Started by
3 comments, last by mikeman 19 years, 3 months ago
In the last few days, I've been trying to put together a small tutorial, just for the experience of writing one. Well, it's done. It's about how to render bright lights in a cheap and relatively efficient way(no HDR). I know it's not much, but this is the first I ever wrote. Anyway, here it is: http://www.angelfire.com/games5/mikeman/BrightLightsGL.htm Moderators: Feel free to move this to the Announcements, I just thought it would be okay to post it here since it is about OpenGL.
Advertisement
well written esp if english isnt your first language,
your billboarding/camera orientation method though is far from ideal but its a minor complaint a very good first effort
Quote:
...your billboarding/camera orientation method though is far from ideal

Yeah I know, I just didn't wanted to spend any more time on cameras and billboarding, since it's not really the point of this tutorial,so I preferred a quick solution(although it does work). The reader may use other tutorials especially written for billboards. Maybe I'll put some references in the end of the tutorial or something.

[Edited by - mikeman on January 6, 2005 4:40:35 PM]
nicely written! :) I'd like to suggest something more advance in your next tutorial though (probably build on this current one) :)
Quote:Original post by _nomad_
I'd like to suggest something more advance in your next tutorial though (probably build on this current one) :)

Hey, I never said I was John Carmack :). I can only write about what I know. Since I started this, I'm thinking of writing next a tutorial of how to render the spotlight effect, which is more tricky. It may require vertex shaders this time though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement