Direct3D quick question.

Started by
5 comments, last by DrunkenHyena 19 years, 3 months ago
In the D3DXCOLOR structure could somebody please tell me what are the minimum and maximum values of the data members. They are listed as floats, so is this the usual 0.0f to 1.0f range? There was no mention of the limits in the SDK upon a quick perusal. Thanks in advance. Kind regards. Mark Coleman [Edited by - mrmrcoleman on January 6, 2005 9:34:47 AM]
Advertisement
That is correct. 0 to 1 represents 0 to 255.

Chris
Chris ByersMicrosoft DirectX MVP - 2005
so basically u would put in the percentage over a hundred for colour.

0.33 would be 33% of possible RED/GREEN/BLUE

ace
Thanks guys.

Mark Coleman
D3DCOLORVALUE lights can have r,g and b greater than 1 and less than 0. For lights, greater than 1 gives a very bright light, and negative lights are "Dark" lights. Given that D3DXCOLOR has a D3DCOLORVALUE conversion operator (converts D3DXCOLOR to D3DCOLORVALUE), I'd expect it to follow the same rules (i.e. allow values outside the 0...1 range)

Ok, I will have to run some tests then, one other question though.

I have a struct which contains a D3DCOLOR memeber, it is initialised like this:

D3DCOLOR Color = D3DXCOLOR(r, g, b, a);// Whereby r, g, b, and a are floats between 0 and 1

However later in the code I need to adjust the alpha value, say subtract 0.1 from it.

How can I do this? I looked in the SDK and I can't find any information about the contents of the D3DCOLOR type, is there a function to extract the individual fields or similar?

Thanks again for any help.

Regards.

Mark Coleman
If you take a look at d3d9types.h, you'll see this:

// D3DCOLOR is equivalent to D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8
#ifndef D3DCOLOR_DEFINED
typedef DWORD D3DCOLOR;
#define D3DCOLOR_DEFINED
#endif

So it's just a DWORD: 0xAARRGGBB
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena

This topic is closed to new replies.