• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
directx9 hell

cant install direct 9.0c

This topic is 4890 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi i'm new to this forum, my prblem is that i have just reformatted my pc and installed Xp Pro Sp1, and i have direct x 8.1 installed now as default, i downloaded dx 9.0c and it said while installing some dx files were not copied, i rebooted and did it again but still no luck. i went to run and typed dxdiag and on the network it says. directplay8 tcp/ip service provider error directplay8 ipx service provider error directplay8 modem service provider error direct play serial service provider error does any 1 know what this means because i tried installing 8.1 to correct registry errors but no luck. Also on direct x files page it says the file qasf.dll is old and could cause problems. i cant play vietcong online becaus eof this problem and i have had this direct x before with Xp home i dont have any idea whats wrong so can any 1 help.

Advertisement
It is essential you uninstall previous version of DirectX before installing a new version - I have been caught out with this myself. In the end I fixed it via a utility I got of the web somewhere - called something like DXBuster (I am sure if you do a search...)

i tried that dxbuster and it was in german and i wasnt really sure what was going on bout safe mode install so i left it is there anymore ideas on how i can uninstall and reinstall 8.1 to upgrade to 9.0c because i did it on xp home could it be to do with making my hard drive ntfs and not fat32 maybe if not i will probably have to reformat my pc and then star all over but i cant be sure it will work again.

Quote:
i tried that dxbuster and it was in german and i wasnt really sure what was going on

did you try DirectX Buster 2.1 Beta 4 Build 41 english (~715 kb)? top result from a google of "dxbuster english" [grin].

Quote:
anymore ideas on how i can uninstall and reinstall 8.1 to upgrade to 9.0c

the only solution I've ever heard mentioned is the aforementioned dxbuster. However, uninstalling DirectX is likely to make the world an unhappy place with all sorts of bad things happening.

Have you looked at system restore points? I'm not sure if they'll revert back through system-level changes, but they've got me out of a few bad spots over the years...

Quote:
could it be to do with making my hard drive ntfs and not fat32 maybe if not i will probably have to reformat my pc and then star all over but i cant be sure it will work again.

Cant imagine its anything to do with the file system format. However, short of dxbuster or system restore you're heading towards a system reinstall [sad]...

hth
Jack

Guest Anonymous Poster
ive restored back to my original settings but still cant install 9.0c but iahve got a piece of softwar called everst home edition which says i have 9.0c, i downloaded the run-time but its ok now guys i'll just stay with this 1 just means i cant play vc online thats all thx for the help tho.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!