• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sakke

Console Programming

This topic is 5062 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
dont bother.

The last console programming book that I heard of was GBA programming and was meant to be released by ummmm, cant remember the publisher, big games programming type publisher, someone will rmhere will remember.

Anyway, if you want console programming my suggestion is to get your stuff of the web, as good as anything you would buy in a store but you get it for free.

When you say console programming I assume you mean console specific stuff, and not for example, "how do I learn console programming?"...because consoles are programmed are normally programmed with c/c++ etc... the same stuff PC's are programmed with. If you can't program ( full stop ), I suggest you take a detour from the console aspects and concentrate on your basic programming skills. If, however you can program and want to expand your horizons then I suggest 2 consoles with plenty of info available:

1) GBA - do a google for PERN project, you will find lessons and learn how to do GBA programming using an emulator, and all this stuff does work on a real GBA ( I know I've done it, and transferred my code using a blank cart )

2) PS2 Linux - you can buy a linux kit which enables you to program the PS2 to the metal, you get all the manuals a full blown licensed developer gets bar the PS1 processor manual, and all the libraries, although their calls are renamed. I own this kit and it is awesome!!!!! Beware though not for the beginner, and it'll cost ya. Doesn;t work on the new slim-line PS2 either.

The GBA book was never published but it is available from the author webite, jharbour.com. It uses emulators and an IDE designed by hobby coders to get its point accross, so its not totally compatable with the official Nintendo SDK.
It is however a good basic introduction and can lead to greater things with a bit more work.

To really do anything on console outside of hobby code, you need to be a registered developer for the console maker, or work for a company that is, as all the official SDK's are restricted to official developers. Or in the case of the PS2 Linux kit to a small group willing to pay for the kit.

However even that is not capable of producing full fledge projects, like you buy at the store. It can produce smaller project but is mainly designed as a learning tool. I'm not sure its still sold by Sony, though 2nd hand ones can be obtained.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!