Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
2dcoder

Does Dx10 help Dx9 help Dx8..etc...?

This topic is 5055 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

When MS releases a new version of DirectX, does it have any effect on the previous versions? I mean if you're using a certain function in DX8 and the DX9 counterpart has been improved, would the DX8 version also be improved? Or do they include EVERY EXACT older version of DirectX with each new release?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by 2dcoder
do they include EVERY EXACT older version of DirectX with each new release?

Yes, they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by CoffeeMug
Quote:
Original post by 2dcoder
do they include EVERY EXACT older version of DirectX with each new release?

Yes, they do.

DX10/DXNext/WGF 2.0 (or whatever you want to call it) is going to deviate from this. All of the binaries are getting so big (from ALL of the DX versions), that DX10 is going to start fresh by itself. This means that the D3D10.dll will not contain all previous versions of DirectX. The time is just prime to start a new generation of binaries, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
circlesoft
DX10/DXNext/WGF 2.0 (or whatever you want to call it) is going to deviate from this. All of the binaries are getting so big (from ALL of the DX versions), that DX10 is going to start fresh by itself. This means that the D3D10.dll will not contain all previous versions of DirectX. The time is just prime to start a new generation of binaries, I guess.

Just out of curiousity, where abouts did you get that information?

It makes sense, but I came to that conclusion by different means - more that WGF2 is likely to be longhorn only (its been stated several times that there are no more DirectX's till then), and by that logic it's good for them to "break away" for the simple case of avoiding backwards compatability in longhorn..

Quote:
Original post by CoffeeMug
Quote:
Original post by 2dcoder
do they include EVERY EXACT older version of DirectX with each new release?



Yes, they do.

Isn't it also the general design of COM components, that their interfaces are backwards compatible?

Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Isn't it also the general design of COM components, that their interfaces are backwards compatible?


Yes, it's one of the major design requirements of COM to ensure that interfaces are preserved across versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by evolutional
Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Isn't it also the general design of COM components, that their interfaces are backwards compatible?


Yes, it's one of the major design requirements of COM to ensure that interfaces are preserved across versions.

Good good, at least my assumption wasn't flawed [grin]. I'm plenty happy enough to avoid the "low level" COM programming if I can - such that my knowledge isn't from experience, more from reading about it!

Cheers,
Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:
circlesoft
DX10/DXNext/WGF 2.0 (or whatever you want to call it) is going to deviate from this. All of the binaries are getting so big (from ALL of the DX versions), that DX10 is going to start fresh by itself. This means that the D3D10.dll will not contain all previous versions of DirectX. The time is just prime to start a new generation of binaries, I guess.

Just out of curiousity, where abouts did you get that information?

He's an MVP, so he gets kinda exclusive access to hot news [grin]

Quote:
It makes sense, but I came to that conclusion by different means - more that WGF2 is likely to be longhorn only (its been stated several times that there are no more DirectX's till then), and by that logic it's good for them to "break away" for the simple case of avoiding backwards compatability in longhorn..

IIRC, I read somewhere that Avalon and WinFS are going to be released as service packs for XP, or something similar. So I don't think WGF2 is going to be longhorn only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
He's an MVP, so he gets kinda exclusive access to hot news

Alright for some! [smile] but I didn't think they were allowed to let us "mere mortals" know of this stuff if its not been publicly released?

Quote:
IIRC, I read somewhere that Avalon and WinFS are going to be released as service packs for XP, or something similar. So I don't think WGF2 is going to be longhorn only.

ah, ok then. I read it was only WinFS that was running substantially late, but I could be wrong.

Still, the fact that they seem to be working on changing the name as well as dropping/moving components around (e.g. DirectPlay and DirectShow) seems more of a plausible reason for making it a new product.

Anyway, I think I'm "arguing" the same conclusion here so I'll give up and go to bed. Thankfully its friday tomorrow and I can justify a liquid lunch at work [grin][grin][grin]

Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:
He's an MVP, so he gets kinda exclusive access to hot news

Alright for some! [smile] but I didn't think they were allowed to let us "mere mortals" know of this stuff if its not been publicly released?


*cough* I'm not really sure *cough* The development of Longhorn seems to be much more community oriented than Microsoft's previous OS's, so we keep the community informed on little issues like this. [smile]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Alright for some! [smile] but I didn't think they were allowed to let us "mere mortals" know of this stuff if its not been publicly released?

Yes, but we were hoping no one would notice, but apparently you did. Now we'll have to silence him. I hope you feel guilty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!