• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zeugmal_EDI

BSP Confusion

This topic is 4886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been reading alot about BSP trees lately, and I think I understand the basic concept. The details, however, really confuse me. All the tutorials I've read talk about using a plane to split the polygons into smaller and smaller sections recursively. Apparently the plane to use is chosen from the list inherited from the previous split. What I don't understand is how to construct a plane from a polygon. Perhaps it's obvious, but I'm somewhat weak on the math. If anybody could help me w/this problem, I'd appreciate it alot.

Advertisement
A plane consists of a normal, and a 'distance from the origin'. A polygon has a normal already, so you have 3/4 (in 3D) of the numbers you need for the plane. The distance is calculated using the plane equation (Ax + By + Cz + D = 0)
You have a point on the plane already (any vertex from the polygon is on the plane), and the (A,B,C) = the normal, so you plug in the values for the point and get D = -(Nx*Px + Ny*Py + Nz*Pz) where N is the polygon's normal and the P is any point on the polygon (a vertex is an easy one since you have it already).
In other words, D is equal to -(N . P) where . is the dot product

Some handly links for this kind of stuff:
Geometry
Math World

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!