• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lord_buctree

How to start a...

This topic is 5058 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been trying to figure out the best way to make a 3d game engine, other than books (there aren't many books), maybe looking at the code in an existing engine maybe, or any online e-books that are free?

Advertisement
What Language are you trying to use to create the engine, we might be able to point you in the right direction...

You might also want to try the Game engine Database here DevMaster

If you are using C++, I spent about a week or so learning things from the samples in the SDK, you can find them in DXSDK\Samples\C++\Direct3D. That was enough to get me started, the SDK should also have a CHM with a refrence for all the functions, evem some basic information on the order you need to create the devices to setup properly.

I also still use the Sample Framework (CMyD3DApplication) right now. Makes it really easy on you, because you can pretty much startup the program with 4-5 lines of code. Then you just write in 8 virtual functions that handle Device/Scene/Restore/Invalidate/Delete/FrameMove/Render/FinalCleanup and the framework will call them in the correct orders. This does sound like alot to write up, just to run on someone elses code. But you dont have to handle each possible case like device lost, window resize, windowed-fullscreen, dx will tell you when you didnt clean up the memory, and you get access to alot of nice things to get started with. Like the 3D font class to just name one.

I have kinda wanted to write a tut for getting the framework setup, but I have not really messed around with enough of it for it to be comprehensive. I could get someone to where I am at, but I might be missing something too. So maybe I'll get a little closer to it some day.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!