• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

unsigned long error?

This topic is 4795 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i now have this problem: her is my GLCanvas code: GLCanvas( wxWindow *frame, int &var, wxPoint &point, wxSize &size, DWORD &style, wxString &title ) and here is how i use it: GLCanvas *MainGLWindow = new GLCanvas( GameWindow, Default_Window_Value, wxPoint( 0, 0 ), wxSize( 800, 600 ), wxNO_BORDER, NULL); and this error: C:\Stromgage 3D Game Engine\Stromgage 3D Game Engine\MainApp.cpp(17) : error C2664: 'GLCanvas::GLCanvas' : cannot convert parameter 5 from 'enum wxBorder' to 'unsigned long &' i thought DWORD was long?

Advertisement
The function prototype includes a '&' which means that it requires a variable, rather than a constant. i.e. something that it can take the address of.

So, do this:
DWORD style = wxNO_BORDER;
wxString title = "";
GLCanvas *MainGLWindow = new GLCanvas( GameWindow, Default_Window_Value, wxPoint( 0, 0 ), wxSize( 800, 600 ), style, title);

Parameter 5 is like this because that parameter is probably an in/out parameter meaning that you need to supply a variable to hold the resulting value, as it could differ from what you supplied.
Parameter 6 also has a problem the way you are using it because you can't pass NULL to an & parameter again. Thought in this case the & is because it is more efficient to pass by reference than by value. (The definition should probably have it as const I suspect).

Also DWORD is not a long its an unsigned long.

I've seen plenty of bugs caused by funcitons that look like this

DWORD MyMethod()

if( MyMethod == -1 )

Since its unsigned the only way you'll get this case is by compiler promotion and dumb luck:)

Cheers
Chris

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement