• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kronikle66

Is there a free C++ compilers that doesn't run CommandPrompt?

This topic is 4886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! Looking to dive back into the world of game programming (thanks to some motivation via programming books for christmas). Language of choice? C++! Now, the best time for me to learn is at school. I currently goto a charter high school where everyone gets high speed laptops. However, for security reasons, CommandPrompt and DOS are disabled. I noticed this when I tried to run some test programs in a few other C++ compilers on my laptop. As soon as I went to execute, CommandPrompt would load up really fast then instantly disappear. What I need is a free C++ compiler that maybe doesn't run off of DOS/CommandPrompt. Do you think there are any out there? If so, where might I be able to find one? Thanks! :D -Kronikle

Advertisement
You're bascially going to be hurting without a prompt...

You can install arbitrary software, but not use a command prompt? What kind of F'd up security is that? Tell whoever thinks this is security that they're a moron (perhaps in nicer words, with the "fix that bug, please" tacked onto the end)

most likely the reason it is disappear is that you forgot something like:
std::cin.get();
or, if you have using namespace std;
cin.get();

D'oh!

Yeah, some people have hacked the networks with the help of CommandPrompt to override some security measures (more like restrictions), so the network admin at our school blocked the direct use of any type of DOS-related program.

Darn. I guess I'm gonna have to read all this material without experiencing it.

My program was as follows:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main(void)
{
cout << "Test";
return(0);
}

I just created a quick thing to see if the compiler worked ok.

Dev-C++ is a windows developing environment that uses the gnu's mingw compiler, so it can compile command line programs, or windows programs.

www.bloodshed.net

I know what you mean about being shut out of command prompt. All the schools I've been to have done it too. Thing is, in XP the command prompts all locked up and you can't do very much with it anyways...

Quote:
Original post by C-Junkie
You're bascially going to be hurting without a prompt...

You can install arbitrary software, but not use a command prompt? What kind of F'd up security is that?

The kind that some schools, libraries, and LAN centers/caffees use. It's to prevent students from executing arbitrary stuff. These system are usually heavily modified in the registry, and may be missing run, CTRL+ALT+DELETE option, config panel, etc etc etc....

But, what Roboguy said. You could allways petition the IT staff to switch to linux... :P

Quote:
Dev-C++ is a windows developing environment that uses the gnu's mingw compiler, so it can compile command line programs, or windows programs.

www.bloodshed.net

Heh, that's actually the program I tested. Do you have to specifically change the compiler to GNU Mingw? When I compiled my program straight from installing, a DOS screen popped up realy quickly then shut down. So yeah, I'm wondering if maybe I Mingw isn't default?

-Kronikle

do what Roboguy said. If it popped up at all, you are most likely not locked out of the prompt.

Oh, and Visual C++ Express Beta is free.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!