• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
caesar4

vertex declarations and alpha blending

This topic is 4965 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

this is a two part question relating to terrain engines status: -my terrain engine is using 17x17 vert patches, for frustum culling reasons -the patches are organized into chunks of 4x4 patches, using a shared vertex chunk vertex buffer, to minimize wasted memory due to buffer ovelapping, but each patch has its own index buffer -max terrain size is 1024*1024 vertices (not dimensions) -terrain uses splatting, up to 16 layers for the entire terrain (will try to make it 8 layers per chunk), by alpha mapping a detail texture through an alpha texture that is calculated from a detail map. each layer is its own render pass. to maximize render speed, each patch checks its region in the layermaps to determine in which layers it should render itself. questions: to save some memory, can i generate one layermap and detailmap set of u-v coords, and a vertex declaration that reuses that same set for tex0 - tex7 by setting that vertex buffer to stream 1,2,3, or 4? also to save some extra memory, can i load 4 layermaps int one 32bit (8a8r8g8b) texture and use the different color components for each detail? (i know that this can easily be done using a pixel shader, but i want to implement it for some older cards) thx caesar

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!