@SDL users, use OpenGL

Started by
91 comments, last by 23yrold3yrold 18 years, 1 month ago
- Very, if not most, important part of a coding library is it's documentation. Many people make their choice based on that.
- There is basically no point in making a wrapper that doesn't add any functionality. Although it's a good personal exercise.

Anyway, I look forward to more of your tutorials, if you're planning on making those.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
*nix people... What should we do for you guys? same for you mac people. I'm fine with it being win32, but if more people can use it, that's great too.

I'll try to port it to linux as soon as I get my monitor back (or I buy a new one). If you know someone else already doing it, drop me a line, so I won't expend that time doing redundant work.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Ok, this is what I need done, as far as I can tell. I need a web site, that much is a given. I also want to be able to export these as DLL's. So if we do make significant gains in speed, it won't be a pain for the user to upgrade. I also need documentation. I have played around with doxygen, but... That's just not what I want. Perhaps a WIKI would be approriate for this.

I would take the recommendation of owl and look into source forge. They seem to offer space for almost any open source project. You may be able to find a free Wiki off Google but I don't know of any off hand. I think source forge is reliable and it would probably be a good idea to go with them. What are you looking for in documentation? Doxygen is pretty nice, IMO, and it tells you which function you need for what.

As far as exporting as .dll's, if you don't know how to do that I would just open up one of your SDL header files. Its not really complicated, but it just looked "cryptic" the first time I saw it. You may already know what you need to do.
Owl, port away.
Wryzy, I will look into source forge later today, as well as a doc wiki. What I don't like about doxygen is getting it to work with my editor. Dreamweaver, yum.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One

. . .snip. . .

If anybody wants to port to linux, that would be great.

SDL already works on Linux, as well as BSD, OSX, and MacOS classic. It also works on platforms that don't support OpenGL, like PocketPC and Symbian.

If you want to trumpet your own library, let it live on its own merits. Don't start out by pointing out the inadequacies of the competition unless your solution can win on all fronts. . .which would then make cutting down the competition unnecessary.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Clanlib. Who needs SDL?

Quote:Original post by johnhattan

. . .snip. . .

If anybody wants to port to linux, that would be great.

SDL already works on Linux, as well as BSD, OSX, and MacOS classic. It also works on platforms that don't support OpenGL, like PocketPC and Symbian.

If you want to trumpet your own library, let it live on its own merits. Don't start out by pointing out the inadequacies of the competition unless your solution can win on all fronts. . .which would then make cutting down the competition unnecessary.

That's fair enough. Anyway I think OP meant OpenGL being better than SDL in the terms of OpenGL having hardware acceleration support. Beyond that and neededles to say, I don't expect his 8-header-files-long library to be more complete or more crossplatform than SDL and it's agregates.

EDIT: @PnP Bios, if you want people to help you out with your project you better show them it is under the GPL license. Otherwise they would be working for free and wouldn't have the right to own a copy if you or anybody else copyrights the source code.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I registered it under LGPL with source forge. I hope that is good enough.

I don't know jack shit about licensing, software law, or anything like that. You want it GPL, sure, I don't care. Just show me what to do.
I do agree that it would be a great idea to use OpenGL over SDL for graphics but think about the people just starting out. Some of the things in OpenGL wouldn't make any sense to them at all. Examples of this include setting a orthogonal projection, alternating between matrix modes, etc.

SDL is super simple that is why it doesn't support some of the advance features, like stretch-blitting, that DirectDraw so proudly supports.
---http://www.michaelbolton.comI constantly dream about Michael Bolton.
Quote:Original post by Khaosifix
I do agree that it would be a great idea to use OpenGL over SDL for graphics but think about the people just starting out. Some of the things in OpenGL wouldn't make any sense to them at all. Examples of this include setting a orthogonal projection, alternating between matrix modes, etc.

SDL is super simple that is why it doesn't support some of the advance features, like stretch-blitting, that DirectDraw so proudly supports.

Anybody using my library wouldn't even know that they are using OpenGL. Did you even look through the source?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement