• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
one mind

[java] Which java - 1.4 or 5?

This topic is 4973 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have to learn java as part of my cs course at uni next month and i dont know which sdk to get. I'm at javas site and there are 2 standard editions to choose from. Is 5 the latest or is it just a test? Why the jump from 1.4 to 5 without 2,3,4 ect? Also, is the enterprise edition the same as standard with extras or is it completely different? If i wanted to program server side programs would i need to upgrade to ee or can you do it with se? One last question :) - is the net beans ide any good or would you recommend java studio? Thanks heaps for any info :)

Advertisement
it's not 5, it's 1.5, and it's a beta version, so I'd recommend 1.4 until they come out with a stable 1.5. The enterprise edition is mostly for companies, it comes with extra stuff like servlets, IIRC. As for the IDE, I highly recommend eclipse with the Java plugin

Thanks RoboGuy,

Are you sure its not 5?
This is the title of the d/l page JDK 5.0 Update 1 - NetBeans 4.0

Also, it has an article about top 5 reasons to choose 5.0 over 1.4. It sounds pretty convincing.

Do you have a link where it says it is beta?

Thanks again

The instructor will tell you what he wants, I would hope. It could go either way really, last quarter we were using 1.4 but I think this quarter they are using 1.5.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
it's not 5, it's 1.5, and it's a beta version, so I'd recommend 1.4 until they come out with a stable 1.5.

No. It is "java 5" a.k.a. "java 1.5". Both names are correct, but 5 is the preferred form. It would appear Sun intends to make the next version 6, etc. They never quite managed to do this with 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 (it went 1, 2, 1.3, 1.4, 5). Internally, sun staff seem to refer to them as 5, 6, etc.

And it was *officially* released in November 2004 (December?), it's no longer in beta. Officially. But it's so crap and buggy that a lot of people are refusing to upgrade :).

For instance, sound is broken in java 5 - allegedly many (most?) apps that use sounds have to be rewritten for java 5 or else they get no sound because Sun changed the back-end implementation in an incompatible way. Stupid.

Also, Sun delayed putting the auto-updater for java 5 online. Last time I checked (just before xmas), Sun's own *official* auto-updater didn't have java 5 yet. Several people have pointed to this as evidence that Sun internal staff don't believe the marketing BS being peddled, such as "this is the most stable java release ever", and "you don't need to wait for java 5.1, unlike all previous java releases, this is a rock solid release". BS. Personally, I suspect it's just that they forgot, or didn't get around to it :).

Guest Anonymous Poster
Just make sure you've done the official, free, online tutorials (google for "java sun tutorial" and you should get them. Called "trails" instead of "tutorials"). Do all of them if you can, they lead you through all the major API's.

Except...there's no networking one. There is one for the old, outdated, crappy networking, but none for the current networking (NIO). For NIO, have a look at the NIO article on http://javagamesfactory.com/articles.html

Thanks AP's, that was very helpful.
Luckily I d/l 1.4
I have been programming c# for over a year and am finding java really easy to adapt to. They are very similar.
Thanks again :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!