Confused about isometric map data!

Started by
7 comments, last by Caldus 19 years, 2 months ago
I read through numerous websites about isometric code including the ones on here and I'm still confused! If I have a 2D array of mapdata, are the tiles drawn in a diamond shaped order from left to right, top to bottom?? Or do you draw like normal, indexing through the 2D array from left to right, top to bottom? Thanks!
Advertisement
The two most common isometric grids are staggered (where the map fills in a square area rather well, but will have jagged edges), and diamond (the tiles themselves form a larger diamond or parallelogram).

Get off my lawn!

Generally you draw diamond shaped. It's a good idea to have a function that will correctly mask and print one specific x,y tile though, so that you can print the map any way you want. Having that function is very usefull if you want to move anything in your map (as opposed to just printing it).

Mark
Cornutopia Games
http://www.cornutopia.net
I prefer the left to right method myself but as stated earlier both methods will work.
just out of interest, why do you prefer the l to r method?

Xpy
JUST-CODE-IT.NETManaged DirectX & C# TutorialsForumsArticlesLinksSamples
I dont know. I guess I feel it is more suited, more natural, to my way of thinking.
What is the left to right method?
It means just that, you draw your map going from left to right and up to down (staggering on odd rows) just like in the regular, rectangular map drawing method (without the staggering, ofcourse). The other way actually draws the map as a diamond or similar.
Couldn't you just draw out a rectangle in OpenGL and then rotate it to make it an isometric view?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement