• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

conversion unsigned const char * to const char *

This topic is 4790 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm trying to test to see if an extension is supported and I need to change a "unsigned const char *" into a "const char *" in C++ is this possible? I'm using it when I use the glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS); function to test if Vertex Buffer Objects are supported. I tried using the tutorial for NeHe, but my program crashed at that function so I just left it out. Anybody else have any luck with any of my problems.....? thanks, JDev

Advertisement
if (strstr(const_cast<const char *>(glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS)),"ARB_vertex_buffer_object") != NULL)

d:\documents and settings\administrator\desktop\starfighter\jobjmodel.h(54) : error C2440: 'const_cast' : cannot convert from 'const unsigned char *' to 'const char *'

am I specifying it wrong......?
thanks,
JDev

const_cast can only "turn on" or "turn off" the const modifier. You can't change the actual type.

For what you're trying to do, I would store the result of glGetString in a variable at whatever scope you need.

// ... lots of code here

const char *Extensions;

Extensions=reinterpret_cast<const char*>(glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS));

// ... much more code here

But if you want to continue and do it your way, change const_cast to reinterpret_cast.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement