• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
d000hg

Edit mp3 file

This topic is 5027 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have some music in mp3 format. I'd like to be able to shorten/remove the intro for in-game music, and be able to change the bit-rate of the file to reduce download size. Can someone recommend a Free tool that allows this? I'm prepared to convert to .wav, edit and re-convert to .mp3 if it's required but then I need software to convert between mp3 and wav as well. Thanks guys.

Advertisement
Quite easy :
- CDex for wav-mp3 conversions (I think it's sourceforged)
- Audacity for audio editing (don't know if mp3 support)

Audacity will indeed do what you need. It will automatically convert an mp3 file when you import it for editing, but (for legal reasons), you need to install a plugin to export mp3 files from Audacity. This plugin is available from the same site however, so no need to worry about that.

Oh, just as a sidenote, Audacity also supports the ogg vorbis format, but if your sourcefiles are mp3, it's not recommended to encode to vorbis - both are lossy formats, but discard different information, so conversion from one to the other causes some loss of quality.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!