• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BigBadBob

UT2Kx Engine CPU Heavy?

This topic is 5028 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anybody have any idea why the UT2k4 Engine is so CPU heavy compared to other games which seem to be more GPU dependent. Is this necessary for a game feature or down to some poor programming on epic's part? thanks.

Advertisement
I would hazard a guess that it is a design feature, and not a bad mistake on Epic's part. Simply because, that engine has been in development, like, forever, and during that time, it would have been kind of hard for them to miss a problem that big, if they actually considered it a problem.

Although I could be wrong, as I'm just guessing there.

I fail to see how this is a design "problem" or a flaw in any way. Nowadays, the video card is often the most expensive part in a computer and so not everyone is willing to upgrade it every three months. A new AthlonXP 3000+ will only cost you $150 whereas a new ATI X800 will cost you $450. A new CPU can also be easier to justify, since it will speed up everything to some extent, and not just games.

Ok, well i really find UT2K4 for instance far too CPU bottlenecked, well that is i guess memory bandwidth. When im at ~3GHz (400FSB) (with a 9800 @ pro) im not satisfied with the way it performs, however if i overclock my CPU FSB wise, to say 460FSB whilst even downclocking the gfx card, there is a vast increase in performance.
A CPU performance of this caliber is not required by other similar-generation FPS games and so what I'm asking really is...does anyone know what features in the UT2k4 engine result in this performance characteristic?

CPU is the bottleneck in all the engines out there, its just a question of: to what extent?

The sound driver (at least under Mac OS X) appears to drag down the framerate more than anything else. Try turning it off; I'd love to see if sound is stupidly handled entirely on the CPU under NT or Linux.

Ok so if we look at AI as a cause ... in a MP game (I'm talking of online play) there is no AI needed in the conventional bot sense so it can't be that.

Quote:
CPU is the bottleneck in all the engines out there, its just a question of: to what extent?
Exactly my point but the question then is why is the CPU a bottleneck in UT2k4 to an extent more than other games?

I'll agree with MadMan on that one. Of course, now you've got me curious. I get a steady FPS of much higher than 30 (haven't actually measured in a while, but it's definitely smooth motion) with the graphics turned all the way up on my dual Xeon 2.4GHz box with a Radeon 9700(non-pro). Here's a way to test our hypothesis: do you have the same problem while playing with only human players or while playing with AI on a separate server?

{Edit: so if it's not the AI, then what happens when you turn the graphics all the way down?)

Guest Anonymous Poster
I'd say it's cpu bottle-necked cause pretty much the whole thing runs off Unreal*SCRIPT*.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!