UT2Kx Engine CPU Heavy?

Started by
27 comments, last by BigBadBob 19 years, 3 months ago
It's DirectX 7. As in, no shaders. As in, no GPU.
Advertisement
Quote:http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue2.shtml
# Full support for DirectX8 class video cards (including ATI® RADEON™- and NVIDIA® GeForce™-class cards).
# Fallback rendering support for DirectX6 video cards as far back as the NVidia TNT.
# Rendering subsystems include Direct3D, OpenGL, and RAD Game Tools' Pixomatic software renderer for Windows PCs – bundled with Unreal Engine 2 at no additional cost. The inclusion of software rendering guarantees that any PC with a reasonable CPU will be able to run Unreal Engine 2, regardless of 3D card support.
couldn t you disable occlussion culling and use pure frustrumculling instead
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
Quote:I find it hard to believe they would choose to do things in software that they can do in HW, especialy on such a high profile engine. Now there is a software rendered to at least one of the UT2Kx versions, but that's optional, not forced.
A 3 GHz and 400 MHz buss sounds like a Celeron CPU (with the new P4s being 800 MHz and the old 533 MHz), and while the new Cels aren't as bad as thier predeserors they're in no way a top of the line CPU. The game could very well be bandwidth starved seeing as you have a large increase in performance when overclocking the FSB.

Hi, my mate was actually doing the original post and mis-specified things a little. He has an AMD Barton 3000+ so was equating it to 3Ghz P4. So it is a 400FSB. Although the rest of the information holds. (I.e. small increases in cpu subsystem speed give the greatest performance boost even at already high cpu speeds).

Quote:It's DirectX 7. As in, no shaders. As in, no GPU.
Well this is just rubbish frankly :D UT2k3 has a large amount of dx8 support and uses shaders to speed up processing of a lot of features.

Quote:couldn t you disable occlussion culling and use pure frustrumculling instead
. Erm... maybe :D Is there an ini setting to do this? Although wouldnt turning off their own occlusion processing be a bad idea and likely to diminish performance greatly?
Quote:Original post by BigBadBob
Hi, my mate was actually doing the original post and mis-specified things a little. He has an AMD Barton 3000+ so was equating it to 3Ghz P4. So it is a 400FSB. Although the rest of the information holds. (I.e. small increases in cpu subsystem speed give the greatest performance boost even at already high cpu speeds).

Ah, well the argument still holds, if somewhat less strongly. The Athlon XP 3000+ roughly compares to a 2.8 GHz P4 (AMD got a little over entuseastic in the later days of the XP line, fixed now though with the 64 performing better than its PR ratings most of the time), overclocking it from 2.16 GHz to 2.5 GHz gains about 15% which isn't too bad a bost (however not perhaps the same bost as the same amount on a P4 system, since the XP line isn't as memory starved as the P4).
Considering that he runs the game at 1024x768, a res where his gfx card should be no where near strained (atleast not unless AA and AF were activated), it is to be expected that a bost of CPU speed will have a much higher inpact than ovecklocking the gfx card.
He can probably increase the res (or turn on AA and AF) without much performance decrease.
What GPU does he have?
Speaking from experience, UnrealScript execution was always pretty slow compared to other functionality. Yeah, it's bytecode compiled, but it's still about 10% as fast as Compiled C++.

Exacerbating this problem is the fact that most companies that license the engine try to do everything in UnrealScript (or they prototype in script, and forget they're prototyping, so when it works, they just move on to the next task), so they wind up with these massive class heirarchies and codebases that are all in script, which slows down execution.
True that. Although I don't believe that UT2004 runs with everything scripted. Don't know, didn't do too terribly much research on the Unreal 2 engine. Mostly on the Unreal 3.
Hey thanks for more replies. Unreal Script is certainly looking a possible contender for some of the performance problem ... Why do other engines not suffer the same problem? Do they have a better scripting language design / compile or do they simply not allow as much scripting as ut2kx does?

Quote:What GPU does he have?
Radeon 9800 @ pro speeds

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement