• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jimiwa

distributing academic .net applications?

This topic is 4971 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if I'm allowed to distribute and/or sell games that I write with Visual Studio .NET academic edition or if there's a restriction on distributing.

Advertisement
You cannot sell them; but you can give them away.

And no, there is no way for them to know what version you made it with.

I'm not a lawyer, but I saw no terms in the EULA banning commercial use. To be sure, you need a lawyer to go over the license, or you could just ask microsoft's legal department.

I'm no pro translator of legalese, but a couple of years ago when I got VS.NET 2002 Academic (boxed copy, $100), I carefully went over the EULA, and from what I could tell, there was nothing in it that said I couldn't use software made with it for commercial use. However, last semester when I got a copy of VS.NET 2003 at my school through the MSDN Academic Alliance program (6-7 CDs in slip covers, ~$15-20), I read over the EULA and an addendum I found on Microsoft's site that explicitly prohibited me from using the software made with it for commercial use. Both versions give me no upgrade rights, so if I had graduated now and wanted to get Visual Studio 2005 when it came out, I would have to buy the full version at whatever price tag Microsoft sets.

the standard and academic editions are very different ...

The Standard Editions are stripped down and meant to be unusable for shipping real products (they usually disable all compiler optimizations and turn off many advanced tools or wizards). I do not know if the license restricts use of output.

The Academic Edition is usually the exact same product as the professional edition, but priced cheaply to hook students into using it and teachers into teaching with it. It does NOT restrict use of the output programs in any way (except the same ways the professional version does).

They can tell what version any program is compiled with, because all compilers I've ever seen (Borland, Visual Studio, GCC, ...) all embedd this information in the compiled output.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!