• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CProgrammer

C# Forms

This topic is 5060 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering, do most of you guys use the Visual Studio .net editor for forms or hard code it in c#. The reason im asking is that I want o knwo whats best to get used to. What do companies do. Like in java one would probably code the frame. In MFC however often times one would use an editor since its more or less standard(the only time I dont is if I code a windowed game project using MFC). -CProgrammer

Advertisement
The C# forms editor is superb. You can design very complex interfaces with little or no coding. The designer was designed to be the best forms designer ever, and I think it is a success in that.

Try writing some small graphical applications with VS.net and C#. You will understand what I mean.

I can imagine and I agree an editor(especially VS-type) should be very promising(im getting vs .net 2003 from my uni at the moment) but Im wondering wether its smart to not use it in order to get experience coding the forms.
I mean in the business world will that be needed or will most companies have vs .net?

Is c# made in conjunction with visual studio or are there many environments?

-CProgrammer

I see absolutely no reason not to use the builtin GUI editor... and yes, when I work I use it too ;-)

Apart from some geeky "i do everything by hand" thoughts or the need to have the controls created dynamically depending on data that is only available at runtime, I can not imagine any reason to type all that GUI stuff by hand...

Except when I dynamically build interfaces, I always use the form designer: it's so much easier. If you use the 2005 version it's even better: all the generated code is put in a seperate file, it isn't mixed with yours anymore.

I can see no reason why one would write the code by hand instead of generating it with the form designer.

Of course, it's another story if you use tools like MyXAML.

Thanks guys for the answers.
Oh as you mentioned Visual Studio .net 2005. Are there significant differences to 2003 apart from what you mentioned?

-CProgrammer

Generally a business is going to go with what produces decent results in the least amount of time. Laying out forms by hand isn't a great use of time. ;)

Quote:
Original post by CProgrammer
Is c# made in conjunction with visual studio or are there many environments?

There are other environments, for example:
Borland's C# Builder (free for non commercial developpement)
#Develop (free and open-source)
Both include a form designer.

Quote:
Oh as you mentioned Visual Studio .net 2005. Are there significant differences to 2003 apart from what you mentioned?

Yes, there are. I am using the Visual C# Express beta. It's smaller than the full VS. Some improvements in the IDE: intellisense is a lot better (well, you won't mind much if you use WholeTomato VisualAssist anyway. But personnally. now that I have 2005, I don't use it anymore.) There also is a new code snippet expansion functionnality.
But what I really like are the new functionnalities of C# 2.0 and .NET 2.0 (both used by the 2005 beta). There are LOTS of improvements that I'm addicted to.

I suggest you to jump in, the C# express beta is freely available there:
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

Kind regards,
jods

Try to get the latest MSDN as well. You'll learn about C# and Windows Forms in no time with the help of Dynamic Help.

The reason im asking about vs .net 2005 is that I now have a copy of vs .net 2003. The thing is Im new to c# programming and was wondering wether im wasting my time with 2003(is 2005 so fundamentally different that learning 2003' c# would be learning forgotten stuff).

-CProgrammer

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!