• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CProgrammer

win32 API

This topic is 4974 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Given Microsoft's support for legacy systems, I can almost guarantee to you that Win32 programs will still run. After all, WinXP does a reasonable job at emulating DOS programs. There are far too many Win32 programs around for them to stop supporting it, especially if you consider that if people can't run their applications, they have a good reason to consider other operating systems. If they can still run their programs, they'll be happy to carry on using Windows.

It's no secret that MS would rather programmers use .NET instead, but I think their dev tools will support Win32 for a good while yet, as far too many developers would be very unhappy if they couldn't develop for Win32. Another IDE/compiler would soon pick up all their business anyway.

There wil be a new api, infact its allready here. The old win32 api will be available, they simply can't break old apps. They've allready announced that it will become depricated though.

Cheers
Chris

The MS longhorn faq mentions that some longhorn components still use win32. Besides that, longhorn will support win32 and MS has always bent over backwards to support old apps in their new oses. Thus I still use windows 3.11 encyclopedia application from 1992 in my win98 and it works flawlessly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!